Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ya gotta be kidding me. Tire installation.

Ya gotta be kidding me. Tire installation.

So I ordered a couple tires for the CityX from Jake Wilson. I've been thinking about swapping them over myself. But, today I thought I would call a couple of places and get the cost for having them put the tires on for me. Here's the happy results...

Place A - Kevin Powell Motorsports Winston - Salem - $55 each tire, which is labor only, extra for weights and valve stems.

Place B - Honda of Winston - Salem - $65 each tire, which is labor only, extra for weights and valve stems.

What the WHAT???? Is it me or is this insanely expensive?? Maybe I should start changing tires for a living. $200 an hour sounds about right.

Get a cheap bead breaker/tire changer from harbor freight, watch a few YouTube vids, and do it yourself!

Or bring me a case of beer and your wheels and I'll show ya how to do it.
    After that all you'll need to do is have them balanced.

Banned
    I changed front tire with tire spoons and installed rear 240 tire with zip ties and this is PITA, especially front tire, plus I scratched my rims. Even I used plastic rim protectors it was nearly impossible to prevent scratches. So I am not going to use tire spoons anymore and since tire changing price is so hight I'm planning to buy No-Mar tire changer.

I'm planning to use No-Mar classic tire changer http://www.ebay.com/itm/Motorcycle-C...EAAOSw3ydVoBk0
    It looks like you can disassemble it to make it compact and keep in on the shelf while it is not in use.
    Last edited by TPEHAK; 07-12-2017 at 04:40 AM.

Inactive
    ^^^^^^^ the No-Mar classic IS NOT the tire changer for the enthusiast. the No-Mar CycleHill model is the one to have. can be both stationary and portable...lasts a life-time...nothing to break or wear out....beautifully designed and USA constructed and sold.....priced right. have one in my shop for 5 years now, have changed over 100 tires with it and it remains flawless with no signs of wear and tear.
    have suggested this before and will suggest again: by shopping around you can purchase both this changer and a static balancer for under $450. go together with a few other riding friends...split the cost....learn how to change and balance your own tires. these days if you change and balance 4 pairs of tires yourself you have just paid for the entire rig.

cycle-hill-standard-2014.jpg

Once you have the right equipment, it's pretty easy, get a good static balancer and put Ride-On in the tire and your all set !

Spit, sweat and spoons is all you need!
    Bunch of Buell riding sissies!

I take the wheel off myself and leave the bike on a stand. Then I bring it to the shop along with the new rubber. The guy charges me $20 to swap the rubber. I tell them not to balance because I use Ride-On tire balancer/sealer....

My next set of tires I need swapped are going down to John's place to get done. Not breaking my BALLS no more!!!! plus I know he has the right stuff.

Might be worth calling your local track day organization. They usually all have relationships with track side tire support companies. What's good there is that these companies bring tire changing equipment to the track and change tire's for cheap all day. Call around, find when one will be nearby, and bring your wheels and new tires. Most of these guys will charge 10-20 a wheel to mount and balance.

Cost drops dramatically if you can just bring in your wheels.

Unless you find an outstanding deal, I price installed tires through the shop first (not a dealer) and it's usually very similar to Revzilla and such, but much less hassle.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast