Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Beautiful day until...

Since being out of riding bikes for 22 years and, only coming back a few years ago, when you say " hot patch " John, what is a hot patch ? I know they used to take the tire off and patch from the inside but, I remember that being a cold patch with no heat applied ? It looked to me like a tube patch but used on the inside of a tube less tire.

I guess I should add that, yes I plugged a brand new tire on my Triumph Explorer and , road it with no problems for over11K however, I do use Ride-On in all of my tires.

I do agree with patching from the inside !
    Last edited by njloco; 07-17-2017 at 01:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by lunaticfringe View Post
    rob: for peace of mind, your health and reliability i would still remove the wheel, strip tire from rim and have local tire shop "hot patch" it. tried and proven method, only costs a few bucks and will restore pressure holding reliability that lasts the life of the tire. i never trust a "plug" for anything more than a convenient temporary fix.
    having recommended that with your SAFETY in mind....let's now have all the drones chime in with "plugged hundreds of tires with nary a problem".
    Agreed... this thing is going to bug me. I need to check bearings anyway, going to make sure the spacer hasn't been over torqued as you warned in another thread, I believe it was you. That understanding of how the bearings are installed and loaded on the spacer was priceless and probably hard to read between the lines in the SM... thanks for that John.

Hope your back doing this in no time... beautiful day...20170717_071728.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by lunaticfringe View Post
    rob: for peace of mind, your health and reliability i would still remove the wheel, strip tire from rim and have local tire shop "hot patch" it. tried and proven method, only costs a few bucks and will restore pressure holding reliability that lasts the life of the tire. i never trust a "plug" for anything more than a convenient temporary fix.
    having recommended that with your SAFETY in mind....let's now have all the drones chime in with "plugged hundreds of tires with nary a problem".
    I absolutely agree. In fact, the way i drive i don't even trust just a plug for very long on my truck tires. (The way i drive my truck is load it like a rail car and drive it like a race car FYI)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12