Thread: Fuel Pump Regulator Fuse Blows

Fuel Pump Regulator Fuse Blows

I am new to Buell and was looking for any assistance in trouble shooting this issue that seems to be happening.

I bought a 2009 Buell xb12xt from an auction recently, and I have been having issues with it and the fuel pump.

I will try to be thorough and short with what I have done.

Couldn't get it to run, and then noticed the fuel pump fuse blows even when hooked to a battery and not a key in the ignition switch.

I pull the pump/regulator assembly, and clean the connecting wires and swap the old pump cause I was already in there, and add a fuel filter. The pump works - I hooked it to a battery with cables, and it works on contact.

Hook up the connectors, and dry, outside of the tank it works. Place the assembly in the tank, and it works. Test it dry with fuel line and all bolts connected to have it sealed in the tank, it works. *** By works, seems to prime and go through its motions.

I THEN add GAS, and the fuse blows. I only added a 1/3 of a gallon, and the fuse blows. Not even a chance to start it, cause as soon as I place a new fuse in the fuse box, it blows again. I tried a 15w fuse (10w is the norm), and that blew.

Any suggestions? My one friend said to locate the float/gas switch (haven't investigated) and see how that looks (no indication on the dash of the gas light). I am trying to go down the line and see what it could be, but I am stumped at this point. I don't know if the assembly is that bad and needs a whole new one??? I don't know the next route(s) to go, and any help would be thoroughly appreciated!

Inactive
    are you saying that with dry bench testing the pump runs fine for indefinite period of time? but when installed in tank and put under fuel load it pops the fuse? that's either the pump wires shorting out to the assembly bracket or simply a bad pump. note that 2009 model year saw buell/h-d replacing an inordinate amount of faulty fuel pumps. double check that your internal pump wires aren't sloshing around, chafed, and rubbed thru causing a short but in all likelihood it's a faulty pump.

Part number for 2009 fuel pump is P0130.5AA

Check the wires of the pump inside the tank. The pump itself is bulletproof.

Quote Originally Posted by lunaticfringe View Post
    are you saying that with dry bench testing the pump runs fine for indefinite period of time? but when installed in tank and put under fuel load it pops the fuse? that's either the pump wires shorting out to the assembly bracket or simply a bad pump. note that 2009 model year saw buell/h-d replacing an inordinate amount of faulty fuel pumps. double check that your internal pump wires aren't sloshing around, chafed, and rubbed thru causing a short but in all likelihood it's a faulty pump.

Part number for 2009 fuel pump is P0130.5AA
    Sorry for the delay in response. I never saw an email stating your initial response.

I tried to clear the wiring as best I could, replaced the pump and have sense done the regulator. It still is popping the fuse when gas is being added. Subsequently, only when gas is added (and presumably covering the housing). Which has led me to believe that it is the wiring and a short coming from there on the assembly.

Am I right that there isn't a float or subsequent switch that would be setting it off? It's all in the assembly on these models?

Theres no float or switch on that assembly that would do that.

The guys posting above are correct in the things you need to do. Take the pump back out and triple check the wiring for chaffing. I bet it's that.

If the wiring is good (I doubt it), buy another pump. Try the mustang pump trick (search it on here).

Ok, thank you for your response. I didn't think there was a float, and the pump is good (hooked up to battery and working). I will reexamine the wiring and/or get a whole new housing. The limited amount I know in electrical is that even if it looks good, doesn't mean it is.

I'll keep this posted, as I assume its wiring that's shorting when the gas hits it.

So, after all of this time and everything that I seemed to have checked, it was a bit of corrusion down where the wires come into the housing unit. There was a bit of, what I call a booger, and it was enough to be shortening it out. Some sort of deposit that was bridging the wires. I didn't know that, as previously it wasn't doing it when dry. This time, though, there was a spark that came from the wires when dry and out, and much easier to determine the source!

Thank you for your correct suggestions, and I just didn't think to look at the base where that rubber plug is on it. Prior meter tests dry didn't show otherwise. Very relieved, and have new seals coming to put the thing together.

Nice! I'm happy you found it and thank you for posting the solution

Does the 2006 Uly have that fuse? I've looked for it and can't find it.

Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by SVUly View Post
    Does the 2006 Uly have that fuse? I've looked for it and can't find it.
    no! the "D" wire for the pump feed harness fused thru ignition circuit fuse which also powers up low fuel warning light. ignition relay also tied into same circuit which affects pump on/off action.