Thread: Looking for an M2 muffler

Looking for an M2 muffler

I just bought this amazingly clean '98 M2 and the previous owner had replaced the stock muffler with a generic cherry bomb. It sounds great but a little too loud for my taste. I've done some searching around for a replacement but aside from "universal-types" and big-dollar complete systems I haven't found much. I'm pretty mechanically adept, so adaptations might work. Any suggestions?

Buell M2 1998.jpg

There are plenty of stock ones on eBay. The problem with some homebrew setup on a tuber is that if you don’t do it right, you can crack your header. And make sure you have the updated Y front mount or you will probably crack it anyways.

Why not just remove the cherry bomb and replace with something the same shape and configuration, but of higher quality, like a Porter?
    Last edited by 34nineteen; 08-23-2020 at 11:40 PM.

Would the Porter be any quieter? The previous owner has another M2 with the stock can and it's a little "too quiet", so something in-between would be ideal.

It’s hard to tell, but a Porter is stuffed with stainless steel wool. That cherry bomb could be some blown out $19 Pep Boys special.

I have a D&D on my M2 and it sounds great.

Found a NOS muffler. When it's bolted in place and I ride the bike a few times I might (carefully) open it from the backside and perhaps modify the baffles for a little more rumble but not as loud as the cherry bomb was.

My son has a NIB muffler for a 2002 M-2.
    Let me know if your interested and I will hook you up if I can.