Thread: New to me X1. First Buell (Runs ok but could be better)

New to me X1. First Buell (Runs ok but could be better)

So here it goes. I have been a Buell fan for about 15 years. I have almost bought several but just never could get past the plastics. I like how they can look but stock i'm not so impressed. I really like the naked style and came across a good deal the other day that i just couldn't pass up. I got this bike for $275 bucks from a friend of a friend with only 7500 miles on it. He said it was stuck in gear and was having a fueling issue. When i went to look at it he had the tank, exhaust, and seat off. I looked it over and figured whats the worst that can happen i buy it and then sell it to make some money to get the model i really wanted. So i bought it. Took it home and parked it in the house for the night. I came home from work the next day with a battery and oil. put those in along with the parts he had taken off. I messed with the shifter and got it into neutral within 30 seconds. I decided to see what happened when i tried to start it. It started in about 10 seconds of cranking on it. Once i got it running i decided to take it for a small ride. The ride was good and nothing exciting happened. I have since rode it 2 more times and have noticed that it seems to idle rough and have been trying to figure out what it could be. Doing some research i see that the TPS seems to be a common issue on these and need to be reset fairly often. One thing to note on this bike is it has a "Race ECU" on it. I don't know if it is anything special to mention or maybe its part of my idle problems. I have also read a lot about ECM Spy. Should i find a stock ECU or should i continue to use the "Race ECU". I cant imagine needing a "Race ECU" for a bike that is basically stock. Should i flash the ECU to a stock image? any thoughts? Take a look at the pictures and let me know what you think. The first picture is what it looked like right off the trailer and the second is current tonight.

20200809_210018[1].jpg20200821_222627[1].jpg

Shining up nice

A "Race ECM" is identical to a OE one. Who knows what fuel map is in there but I wouldn't jump into assuming the ECM is faulty.

You can swap maps and diagnose almost everything with the easy to use ECMDroid. It is free at the Google Play store and it communicates with your Android device wirelessly with bluetooth. I like the Bluetooth dongle I got from Buelltooth.com.

How rough is the rough idle? It does say Harley on it LOL

As far a rough it idles and sounds like one cyl firing. once it is warmed up it sounds fairly good. Can you tell me more about the ECMDroid? Is it not as good as the ECMSpy? I got a new air filter mounted. took a little work and fitting but it looks good to me. 20200823_175658[1].jpg