Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tubber cafe racer!

Hybrid View

Tubber cafe racer!

I have a number of motorcycles and after spending the weekend on a Triumph Thruxton I have a calling for a new to me machine.
    What I liked about the triumph retro cafe racer - Its a Retro Cafe Racer with the perfect mix of chrome, shinny stuff and style.
    What I disliked about the triumph retro cafe racer - It's power source was a total LUMP! I have been riding V-Twins for ten years and the thought of a going back to an I-4 sickens me. I thought the 900cc triumph twin would be exciting. NOT!

My solution!!!

I have always liked the buell tuber but reliability issues and a 20 year old discontinued motorcycle has inherent problems :-)

I have a 2008 Ulysses and the idea of a 2002 M2 Cyclone with clipons, flashy paint and some chrome is really appealing to me right now. It would be a rarely ridden bike, the Ulysses is doing most of the day to day operations.

Anyone have a suggestion or better yet, a 90% completed cafe racer project bike that they need to get rid of to make room in the garage for a new toy?

I'm right now scowering the used bike section for a 1999 to 2002 tuber (swing arm and shifter upgrades). The M2 stands out because of the carburetor and similarities with the 1200 sportster motor.

This topic is probably as contraverial as tires and oil brands. Let me be clear, this is not me looking for a sacrifical tuber to slap it's motor into a H-D bobber nightmare. I basically want an M2 wth clip-ons and some bling :-)

Any input is welcome!

thank you

Go for it and post pics!

What reliability issues are you talking about?

I don't think he meant Buell specific, I think he meant 20 year old motorcycle problems?

Absolutely, if its got tires its going to have problems. I have read almost every post regarding the XB's and now I'm researching the tuber's. Any 20 year old bike can have all kinds of interesting issues, especially one that the PO didn't take care of properly. As much as I like sourcing used parts on ebay... The XB is a great bike but to say it doesn't have quirks would be a lie. In my humble opinion if I wanted a truly reliable motorcycle I would buy a brand new Honda. Unfortunately I have yet to find a Honda that I want. I think of buells like a redheaded girl friend. Its about the most fun you can have, legally or illegally but if you make that redheaded girl friend angry... You certainly will have a serious reliability issue!

The 2000/2002 tuber is most appealing because of the upgraded systems and it most likely has all of HD's factory recalls installed. For some reason I don't think I can go down to my local HD stealer with a tuber and expect to find a complete vehicle maintenance record. My intentions were not to start a buell reliability flame war.

Thank You

Imagine with a buell thunderstorm motor squeezed in there! Oh and black and orange HD VR1000 paint scheme

20155662_10159021475175317_6384961678795796186_n.jpg

Not a new idea, and what youre talking about is pretty basic - some clip ons...big deal.
    PERSONALLY, if it were me, I'd go for an X1
    Why?
    Removable subframe.

Make it easier to buy or fab up a 'cafe style' seat and tail section

Hell, I know of a drag racer that is for sale - X1, already has clip ons installed, just need to put a stock swingarm back on and its there.

I had a 900 Thruxton. It was a fun bike,. But like you mentioned it definitely wasn't a powerhouse. I did get a chance to ride one of the new 1200 Thruxton at a dealer day this summer. Now that is a whole different story! Super nice bike, but spendy.

Good luck with your project. I'm sure you have saw Pur Pony's tuber? If not definitely look into it.

Cafe Racer Update... Well on my way now. Paint is done and I had the swing arm polished. Next is polishing of the tail section and I need to clean up the rims. Very happy with the projects so far. This X1 is just so much fun! The seat is awful and I will get it re-covered this fall. The bike is not my daily rider so I can deal with the seat for short trips. This bike fells more nimble than my XB12XT, I'm sure it has a fuel map.

cc1ExYK4SX+6E5P6Qz3RGA.jpg
    SS14%s4BSbuzcPyTRAAcyA.jpg
    TBfEcP2hQiOjSiDVWw1DYQ.jpg

Looks great!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast