Thread: Kickstand Bolt Broke

Kickstand Bolt Broke

One of the bolts that mount the kickstand to the motorcycle snapped today and the other one bent. Does anyone know where to pick up some replacement bolts?

Thanks

Greg

Ace Hardware

Several years ago both bolts broke on one of my TT's. It happened on the car deck of a ferry during the evening commute. Both bolts had loosened and backed out. I had checked the bolts 5 or 6 months before they snapped and only one had loosened a little bit, (1/4 to 1/2 turn).

The stock bolts are 5/16" coarse thread. Other ferry riders found the two snapped bolt heads but I can't remember if they were marked or not. After getting the bike home I turned out what was left with vise grips.

There is lots of material around the side stand bolt holes. Decided to up-size the side stand bolts to 3/8". Drilling out the holes is pretty easy as the tap drill, (5/16") just tracks and follows the existing hole.

After drilling I cleaned the holes and bolt threads with brake cleaner then assembled with Red Loctite.
    Last edited by mmcn49; 08-06-2017 at 09:38 PM. Reason: omitted information

I just replaced them with 5/16-18x3/4 inch bolts from autozone. Coated them with red locktite.