Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New owner to this bike; tuning questions

Seriously no offense taken. I just wanted to ensure that I was on the right track. I read in some other thread to go ahead and have the bike at operating temp before swapping ECM's then performing the TPS reset so that enrichment isn't on. Are there any other gotcha's that I should be aware of? Thanks for that info and really I wouldn't be offended by speaking the truth. Now, I know how to tune a more modern Harley no problem but these guys here are a different story.

TPS isn't even that complicated... just swap the ECM out (bike does not need to be warmed up), you will need either ECMDroid, ECMSpy or TunerProRT go into the newly swapped ECM and set AFV to 100 then physically back out the idle adjustment screw so that the throttle plate is fully closed, go back into the tuning program and "zero" the TPS value now go back to the idle screw and watch the program value while getting live data from the bike and up the value to 6.1-6.3 degrees in ECMDroid or 5.1 in the other two programs as a starting point. With live data on start the bike and get it up to 180 degrees, now fine tune the idle screw so the RPM idle value is 1000K-1050K and you are done... final value doesn't matter (within reason) those I listed are a starting value to get the bike up to temps is all.

As for what stock ECM-ID to look for, if you have already found EEPROM's you want to use or think they are going to be the one you want check what ECM-ID it was made for because you can't flash a different ECM-ID over another one, this goes back to the firmware dilemma I was talking about before. Also make sure the one you get is DDFI2 if your bike is 07 or earlier or DDFI3 if 08 or later.

None of the sellers on eBay have listed if the firmware is DDFI2. Most of the used ones appear to be from 2003 models. Is this likely to be running an older firmware? Is there a minimum model year I need to look for?

Have a look at this list here, almost all are correct info but there is at least one discrepancy I've yet to fix that lists a "race" ECM as the "stock" ECM-ID (BUEGB this is most likely what you have already)

http://www.buellxb.com/forum/showthr...l=1#post586519

Wow, I just read that entire thread and I may be more confused than I already was

Much like JonDredd stated in the above thread, I just want to be able to put the right tune on this new (to me) bike and since I have the Race ECM, I derive that the Stock ECM is the answer instead in place of the Race ECM. Then this whole firmware conversation is where I get lost. I already purchased a BuellTooth so I'd like to be able to use it or that was a waste. I see two different ECM's for a 2007; Y0152.3A8 (U9E) and a Y0152.3A8A (B2M). The latter I've only found as a new blank from the dealer. Should I just buy a brand new one, take it to the dealer to let them perform the setup and hope that I then have the firmware to use the BuelTooth maps or do I chance it and buy a used ECM (I only find 2003 model year ECM's) on eBay but then what version is loaded on them and can I use the maps easily from BuellTooth?

What is the difference between these two ecm part numbers????

Johng_22, its really not as complicated as you may be seeing it at first...

What is your end goal?
    1.) Try stock ECM mapping on your bike?
    2.) Try a pre-made tune made by someone?
    3.) Buy a 2nd ECM just for ****s and giggles???
    4.) Have a dialed tune done for your bike better than all above options for about the same $$$ or less of option 3???

IF you are after...
    1.) Give me your ECMID(found on the first screen once connected to the bike through ECMDroid) and year of stock ECM bike and I can merge that data to easily flash onto your ECM through ECMDroid.
    2.) Go buy the corresponding ECM to match the ECMID of the tune that it was made to work with and put the ECM in the bike and flash the tune to it.
    3.) Buy from here http://idspd.com/xcart/products-buell/xb12
    4.) You will have to find someone who does this as a service ( I do not!), Or get the software and take both the bike and laptop to a DYNO and pay $$$ to get it done or lastly just dig in and learn on your own like some of us on here have done.

Just to touch on your last post... don't bother with a "blank" ECM as it will be useless, you will need to then pay Harley to flash it and they will only put the stock ECM firmware/data on it.

If you own an 03-07 XB you can buy any ECM for those years as they are DDFI2 and if you roll your sleeves up you can flash any tune to them with some knowhow while leaving the firmware intact, if you do not wish to do that you need to put up the $$$ and buy the setup for what you are after.

Lastly a forum member has an ECM for sale here for $50 http://www.buellxb.com/forum/showthr...2-ECM-for-sale

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12