Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: winter engine build

I ran a standalone wideband 02 and verified I had healthy AFRs, and I did so other than a more sophisticated timing map I don't think I am leaving much if any power on the table. I really want to get it dyno'd just to know where I am at with HP/TQ gains but it runs so well I have just not bothered. I found a place near work so I hope to get in there soon.

I'm interested in the wide band set you're running. Have any links for study purposes you could refer?
    Also interested in knowing about the timing set up. I set mine per service manual and run an Buell race ECM. The bike runs fine the way it is but I know I'm leaving something by my lack of tuning know how. This seems to be the kyptonite in any xb engine build.

I have one like this: http://www.aemelectronics.com/produc...failsafe-gauge

I had it in my supercharged Lotus during some back and forth adjustments with the vendor and had removed it after verifying the tune so I had it on hand. ANY decent AFR/Lambda will give you the data but this style is super easy to use while riding. Any changes you make to the map can be verified easily by making a few runs. Stock ignition timing had too much advance for this new CR under load, my current setting is about 1 tick mark retarded from stock with the Buell race map loaded. However, I have been slowly editing the timing map and returning the mechanical timing to stock to see what I can gain Vs a wholesale timing reduction. It is by no means done, AFR and CH temps are remaining good with no knock but idle and transition to idle is getting slightly better so I think it is worth the effort, but probably not much difference in performance.

However, if I load the Buell race tune, set AFV to 114%, enable fuel cut on decel, and retard about 1 tick mark I get good AFR and CH temps and no knock or ping and and nothing to complain about, I am just playing now. Pretty cool considering I was prepared to swap to Sportster electronics to get support for their galaxy or tunes and tools. I kind of still want to do that for a few reasons but with a great running bike it kind of went back burner motivation wise.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12