Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Help!

Help!

I'm in Roanoke, VA on a cross country ride. Battery died. Picked up new battery at Harley dealer. I drove a bit and check engine light is still coming up. Code 1-6 Battery voltage. What now? Tech checked my voltage regulator, he said it was good.
    Last edited by GregoXB; 08-14-2017 at 10:33 PM.

Banned
    The issue is in the VR circuit.

You have to monitor voltage constantly, it was OK when you checked it, but then it stopped work. I had same issue - bad VR can stop working and get alive periodically.

Now I have installed micro voltmeter to see if there is something wrong with charging system

Last edited by TPEHAK; 08-14-2017 at 11:45 PM.

That sucks Grego, on the road no less... I am too!

Can you get or borrow a voltmeter (free from harbor freight) to help us diagnose it? Otherwise it's just a bunch of guessing g that will cost you time and money.

Thx guys. Harley dealer said it was a historic code and reset it. Bike is running fine now, but I may need a long term plan to put this issue to bed. Tomorrow we ride again so I'll keep my fingers crossed...

Hm... check engine light is appearing again. Brand new battery. Looks like this trip is going to come to an end.

Yeah, usually clearing a code doesn't make the problem that cause the code to appear go away.
    And usually Harley shops don't diagnose Buell issues correctly. Hope they didn't charge you to clear that code.
    How much will a voltage regulator set you back? If it's a couple hundred bucks and knocking the dust off your tool kit I'd say it's worth it to keep your trip rolling. Just skimp on food and lodging the rest of your trip and everything balances out.
    BTW did they test the charging system or just look at the VR?
    Last edited by Chicknstripn; 08-15-2017 at 09:39 PM.

As cooter & Cstripin said get a Vmeter find out what is really going on , Your Batt might not have been bad , the root cause just might be your VR , Just alot of guessing at this point , with out a V meter.

While the guy at the harley dealer checked it. I watched him do it. He even heated to 350f with a heat gun and the readings were ok according to him.

Where am I gonna find a VR in Johnson cituy Tennessee. And what if that does not fix the issue?

Is the battery charging? Have you even put a volt meter to it???????

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast