Thread: 2005 XB12R aftermarket exhaust mod help

2005 XB12R aftermarket exhaust mod help

I know there are threads out there but they are a few years old and I wanted to know if there are any new thoughts.

I would like to gut my exhaust, I can weld well and know how to turn wrench's; but I am not sure where to go from just gutting it.

I have looked at Drummer and Hawk both are a little too expensive for me at this point in time, but are the base line sounds I am looking for.

Other posts that I have looked at show the Drummer as a hollow shell with some packing on the outside.

Hawk has a "V" shaped baffle welded to the new end wall and two exit ports with the hollow shell.

Anyone have any further insight and can help me in good direction.

I will also get a Buelltooth, if I get close to the sound I want to help tune it a little more.

http://www.buellxb.com/forum/showthr...94-Exhaust-Mod

This is the first thing that popped up on google.
    I really don't have any original ideas. It's been a long time since someone has branched out of their pocket book for an alternative aftermarket exhaust idea.
    Good luck

Just so you know whats inside before you open it up . 1714_20100226194909_L.jpg

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by redbaron131 View Post
    Anyone have any further insight and can help me in good direction.
    FYI if you remove internal ribs from the muffler you wont be able to jack your motorcycle up through the muffler anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by TPEHAK View Post
    FYI if you remove internal ribs from the muffler you wont be able to jack your motorcycle up through the muffler anymore.
    One could always weld load bearing supports inside to allow jacking up and still be gutted.. Tpehak, good thought !

For those of you who have gutted your exhaust,

Other than sound, have you noticed any performance increase or decrease? (Power, Torque, MPG etc...)

What did you do with the interactive exhaust valve; leave it in or take it out.

As for the weakened muffler, my plan was to remove the pipes from the sleeve and tack weld the walls back in to give some structural integrity so I can jack up when needed.

I'm also playing around with the idea of removing the interactive exhaust valve and just making it a straight pipe in the muffler running it through all the way to the outlet to maintain the appearance of the stock pipe.
    That idea is so the exhaust gases do not bounce around the large volume of the exhaust body causing turbulence.

What do you think?

I'm trying to get as much info and ideas before I even think about making the first cut.

It will certainly cost less time and probably less money to just buy a decent muffler. Then you can get a matching tune easily to make it run correctly, instead of datalogging and retuning for a Frankenstein thing you put together yourself.

IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by Cooter View Post
    It will certainly cost less time and probably less money to just buy a decent muffler. Then you can get a matching tune easily to make it run correctly, instead of datalogging and retuning for a Frankenstein thing you put together yourself.

IMHO.
    as always Cooter nailed it !!! Tuning ?????????

Tuning??? Haha.

I pulled the cats off the ol' Red Dragon!!