Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Catch Can V2.0

Just curious.....
    How much did this "epic" catch can project cost you?

Banned
    The next step is you have to cut threads in the catch can. I did not specify the NPT threads on the drawings on purpose because of you have to cut the threads and check fitting fitments individually. NPT thread is tapered so you have to cut it carefully frequently checking fitments, do not cut it too deep. The rule is simple - the fitting should be able to be tightened by bare hand to 4-4.5 turns.

You have to start cutting threads as perpendicular to the hole face as possible.

Prepare 1/4-18 NPT thread cutting tool

I used drill press to start threads as perpendicular to the face as possible

Do not forget to lube the hole and thread cutting tool while thread cutting process

I put the tap in the drill press and turned it manually a few turns to start threads perfectly perpendicular to the face. Then you can remove the parts from the drill press and proceed thread cutting with thread cutting bar

Check the fittings fitments each few turns of the thread cutter until you start approaching to 4 turns tight by bare hand. Clean the hole with compressed air before checking fitments. Do not cut threads deeper than bare hand 4.5 turns of the fitting you are going to use in this particular hole. Use the only fitting which will go in his particular hole you are cutting to check fitments. Fittings can have different threated area sizes so two different fittings can go to different depth in the same hole.

Cut threads in all three holes where you are going to stick fittings. Clean the parts thoroughly.

Now you are ready to install fittings

Use Teflon tape to wrap the fitting thread a couple times before attaching to the catch can

Then attach fitting to the catch can and tighten it with wrench. Do not over tighten the fittings.

Attach the air filter (exhaust)

Attach the elbow fitting. Make sure the elbow fitting oriented properly after tightening. If it is already too tight but still needs more than 1/4 turn to achieve necessary orientation, undo the fitting, clean Teflon tape from threads, apply new Teflon tape with one extra layer and try it again until tightened fitting position will be in the appropriate fitting orientation.

Attach the petcock drain plug

Check there is no Teflon tape excess covering the fitting holes

Last edited by TPEHAK; 08-27-2017 at 06:26 AM.

Banned
    Now you can start assembling the catch can.

Attach the big o-ring first

Attach screws and small o-rings

Assemble the catch can and tighten the screws with Torx screwdriver

Done! And here is my homemade breather reroute kit

So now you just need to install it following this instruction http://www.kdfab.com/catchcaninstructions.htm
    Last edited by TPEHAK; 08-27-2017 at 06:05 AM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Chicknstripn View Post
    Just curious.....
    How much did this "epic" catch can project cost you?
    The biggest cost is time I spent designing it and assembling. The parts and custom catch can cost me probably about 300$.

It's expensive, it may not be necessary, it doesn't hurt anything, it looks cool. If you like it and want one on your bike then I say he'll yeah.

Quote Originally Posted by Outlaw View Post
    It's expensive, it may not be necessary, it doesn't hurt anything, it looks cool. If you like it and want one on your bike then I say he'll yeah.
    Exactly where I stand with it. Whether or not you agree with the concept or the rationalization, the execution is above and beyond that of most aftermarket manufacturers.

Banned
    Here is probably another reason for breather reroute mode.

Here is current valves condition after probably 10 Sea Foam cans last year. They look just slightly cleaner than a year ago when I checked them last time before SeaFom procedures, but still look horrible. They look like stalactite caves.

Rear cylinder intake valve

Front cylinder intake valve

Thoughts?
    Last edited by TPEHAK; 08-27-2017 at 04:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nubicon View Post
    Exactly where I stand with it. Whether or not you agree with the concept or the rationalization, the execution is above and beyond that of most aftermarket manufacturers.
    There's no questioning TPEHAK has some engineering skills. Hell, he shows them off every chance he gets and I won't discredit those skills. However, this thread is beyond what most of us DIY guys can accomplish. Also, to me this defeats the purpose of most DIY projects. I'll spend all the time I have to, in order to save money, in order to avoid having to pay someone to do simple mechanical things that are within my wheelhouse of talent.
    But I have said this before and I'll say it again; do what you want with your bike. The bike is an expression of who you are and what you're about.
    TPEHAK this thread is what you're all about.
    Not my flavor, I'm all about trying to save a few bucks, so I apologize for being over opinionated.

When I commented on this page I wasn't trying start crap, but someone not in the know of engine components, issues, and diagnostics might see this and be like my engine is puking all this oil threw my breathers and this guy made a 300 dollar catch can, and I need one. But the real issues are internal sealing problems. Once again I never seen a oil blow by catch can on a car or another bike. Other than turbo catch cans or a race car with low drag race rings there shouldn't be excessive oil blow by. And most race car guys don't give a crap about catching that oil. I have heard of these sporty motors having breathing issues. But nothing like I have seen on this forum.

MakingPain, From what I have read the main reason Buellers do this mod is to make the bike perform even better by redirecting the vapors from being sucked back in to the intake.

Infact I have asked this question on the EBR board if any body has done this on our ERBs I did not get any replies.

http://www.buellxb.com/forum/showthr...ry-buell-needs

Last edited by Silverrider; 08-27-2017 at 05:54 PM.

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast