Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Picking up a Ulysses.

Picking up a Ulysses.

Found a great deal on a 2006 that I'm picking up in the next couple days. I've owned a ton of bikes over the years and always wanted a Buell after riding my buddies Lightening years ago. Currently own a 2011 Electra Glide so this will be my "fun" bike. I'm likely going to remove the beak and install a standard fender up front, if possible. I want to strip it down to more of a streetfighter look than sport touring. I'm going to take off the tall windshield and it has some type of highway peg setup that I will also remove and likely sell. It has the factory hard bags which appear pretty nice but I may off those as well, since this bike will be for around town and short trips. I'm super excited to ride it and will likely have a bunch of questions once I get it home. It has an aftermarket can on it, I think it's a Jardine. I'm buying it from my buddies friend, and I'm told it's in great shape with 10k miles on it. Anything in particular I should know, or ask beforehand?

Inactive
    Anything in particular I should know, or ask beforehand?

yes. to purchase a ulysses and strip off much of the well-designed quality components that make a ulysses such a great bike....is.....well..............do as you please.

Listen to the engine, especially the lower end, you sound like you know how to look over a bike. My friend has one and has done some extensive trips, he loves his. You will really like it, I have an 08 ully and love riding it.

I would have to agree with lunaticfringe on this as it sounds like you want to change it into a lightning long SS

I would be interested in the tall windshield and possibly the hard bags also, if you decide to go ahead with this.

Good luck with it.
    Last edited by njloco; 08-17-2017 at 02:18 PM.

Yes, Ulysses are one of Buells best bikes, Do you have any pics ? How much you getting it for ? if I may ask. 10K is low for a Uly. A 06 is one of the first ones.

Quote Originally Posted by lunaticfringe View Post
    Anything in particular I should know, or ask beforehand?

yes. to purchase a ulysses and strip off much of the well-designed quality components that make a ulysses such a great bike....is.....well..............do as you please.
    I'm getting the bike for ridiculously cheap, I mean unbelievable. Guy's got lots of money and wife says it needs to be gone. I made a lowball offer and he took it. I have an Electra Glide that does everything I want. I'm not planning on using the bike for long hauls so I don't have any need for highway pegs or luggage. I also have a KTM XC-W for off road. I didn't think that sounded so crazy to make this my urban around town type bike... Obviously I'd rather have a Lightening but I can't pass on the deal. I may still hang onto the luggage and windshield, not sure yet. I think a tailbag will haul anything I'll likely need for what I'm going to be using it for. I know the highway pegs will be going down the road. From what I can tell they were made by Palmer, I know I won't use them, and I'm not huge on the looks either. I'm super excited to pick it up and I'll post pics!
    Last edited by Bacon1; 08-17-2017 at 04:13 PM.

Congratulations! The "X" is a fun, comfortable, great handling bike that rides nice! Since you obviously like dirt bikes, it will have a familiar feel. I would recommend changing all fluids and have a look at the drive belt. My 08 X had less than 10k and I changed it last year because it had some cracking/early dry rotting, plus a couple spots I didn't like the looks of. That XC-w is an awesome woods warrior, I have a 2012 too joker.

Hey there! I use mine as a city commuter, ride it every day around town. Only downside I can find so far is how hot my ass and junk get when stuck in rush hour traffic. Once I'm moving I usually stand on the pegs for a couple km to cool off.

I would keep the bags. Some days I feel like the top case, other days I rock the sides. Some days I go naked and haul a backpack. For how easy it is to get them on/off you can't go wrong. I also took off the tall windshield, looks way better without imho.

Like a lot of fellas here, I too own a Harley.
    The Buell is for fun of the type you don't get on the heavier bike.
    There's years of experience on this forum.

Mine is a 2010, last year for them. All the service records for 17,000 miles.
    It's had a belt, stator and voltage regulator, front brake rotor, couple of sets of spark plugs (due to fouling), low fuel sender not working and two battery's, that's about it.
    The Active Exhaust Actuator in the airbox is also kaput. Most don't seem to care about them.
    Last edited by richo; 08-19-2017 at 12:09 AM. Reason: forgot the warped front brake rotor

Welcome, Bacon! Congrats on the great deal! Look forward to seeing the pics!

Quote Originally Posted by submax View Post
    Welcome, Bacon! Congrats on the great deal! Look forward to seeing the pics!
    Same boat actually literally, and kind of wild to read.

My wife promised if I got a vasectomy I could get a Buell. I had a Blast, X1, and Uly back in the day, one traded in, one stolen, and one t-boned into the side of someone who pulled out in front of me at 50mph, and have missed them since the last day I was on them.

V-day was Monday, I'm meeting the guy to pick up his 06 on Saturday provided shop signs off on it.

I also have a 96 Electra Glide which I had to rebuild at 80k because while I got 20k of good fun out of it, the PO didn't take care of it, and it was blowin' oil like the Exxon-Valdez. Upped it to 10:1, EV13 cam, Adjustable Rods, LED's all over, Jose's XB Rocker Box mod, Ceramic'd Exhaust, converted it to E85, roller rockers, Ultima digital ign, and so on. Now it hauls ass as needed. But I wanted a bike that was light and I could flick around when not riding 2up with the wife, enter the Uly. I kept my hardbags and keys from Uly #1 for the last decade, so I'm glad I kept them for a reason.

Last edited by avenger09123; 08-18-2017 at 07:27 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast