Thread: Shock & Fork Questions

Shock & Fork Questions

I've owned an 07 XB12STT for about 10 years. I've also owned a second one for 6 or 7 years. At 68 I'm finding the TT is a little tall, (my inseam is 29-30”). Have been looking into lowering it for awhile. Surfing the other day I came across this: https://www.pureperformancecycles.co...XB12X-Ulysses/

I'm curious if anyone has knowledge of the product. Advertising says this kit is specifically for the Ulysses. I'm wondering if it could be used on the TT?

Both the TT & Uly have 43mm Showa forks. TT travel is 5.6” and the Uly is 6.4. They both have Showa rear shocks. Travel on the TT is 5.6” and for the Uly its 6.4. I'm guessing the fork springs may lower the forks but the shock spring probably not so much.

I have a seat that is about an inch lower than the TT seat but don't want a seat that's any lower due to foot peg height. Any and all comments and suggestions greatly appreciated.

I have seen a few buells lowered before for the same reason, Here are a few ghetto style tricks that I am sure I will burn for telling you FIREdevil.gif . You can cut the front springs by 1.5 inch then for the rear. See the pic then you will have to cut the kick stand to be correct, The top of the shock can be moded and the bottom this is a SCG but it was not low enough. For the record I am not suggesting this method but I have seen it done .

shockdrill4.jpg top shock.jpg
    Last edited by Silverrider; 08-19-2017 at 09:54 PM.

Sorry, can't answer about the lowering kit but, I'm 67, with a 29" inseam, I ride an 08 ully, an 07 SS and a triumph explorer. I was going to lower the SS but found out it wasn't necessary, the ully was lowered with some specific shim's that go on the rear shock, the front forks were simply slid up higher in the triple tree, seems to be good enough.
    For the triumph I used adjustable dog bones and also slid the forks up through the triple tree.
    That was my way of dealing with being inseamed challenged.
    Last edited by njloco; 08-20-2017 at 01:52 AM.

Silverrider/njloco – Thanks for the responses.

Silverrider – Thanks but think I'll pass on this rear shock modification, shortening the fork springs may be an option. This will be an early winter project and I'm gathering as much information as possible. Lowering the forks and shock by suspension shops seems to run from about $600 to $800.

nilco – Did you use the Mizu shim to lower your Uly shock? If not which one did you use?

http://motorcyclecommuteconfab.blogs...own-notch.html

I found a shim similar to the mizu which will lower the TT by 20mm. That and new shorter fork springs may be a reasonable way to go.

IMG_20170821_221354.jpg

This was done before I owned the ully, so I don't know what brand it is.