Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Gasket sets?

Banned
    [QUOTE=tokinbuller;592163]
    Quote Originally Posted by lunaticfringe View Post
    best pricing i've ever seen is below. THE buell gasket set of choice for most....top quality....very complete.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/JAMES-GASKET...RZGcfV&vxp=mtr

Before I buy can you please confirm this fits my 2007xb12s ��
    According this thread it will fit

http://www.buellxb.com/forum/showthr...leaking!-*BIG*

Man you guys rock I really appreciate it. No matter what time I post there always seems to be a speedy answer with great info. Great bunch of guys you all are!

Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by Silverrider View Post
    If John says it fits , It Fits!!!!!! He knows best !!!Attachment 8079
    thanks for the kind words. appreciate that.
    midway: i highly recommend you try and know what the hell you're talking about before you chime in on these threads. this poor guy simply wants to know if the James part # i gave him is correct for his year and model. IT IS! any info i post on this board is CORRECT based on actual usage, accessing dealer part numbers thru the dealer system, personal experience. it is NOT based on EBAY automated "fitment" charts. i could care less what he buys or where he buys it but when i post up information on here i can assure you it is CORRECT. capiche?

got some question while i wait for gaskets to arrive. Assuming its only my top rocker leaking, do i replace both front and rear; only rear is leaking. Do i replace top and bottom? Lastly, maybe this will make more sense when I have the engine opened, but what are all the rest of these gaskets for? haha..

The ones i have pointed to, are the only ones i need for the top? Also are these intake manifold gaskets? Also, ive read to use Hylomar/Permatex; a very light coat on the gasket, and then place it in. Is this correct?

gasket.jpg
    Last edited by tokinbuller; 08-29-2017 at 04:02 PM.

i also have the blue set of James intake gaskets. Should i use the blue ones or the ones that came in this kit? Do i put sealant on the intake gaskets as well? or do those just go straight in?

Do both rocker boxes cause I'd hate for you to have to go through this AGAIN. It's not necessary but great insurance you won't have to rotate the engine again for a while....... Hopefully.
    Use the James, if you haven't noticed, they have a reputation of being the best.
    If you're repairing a rocker box leak just replace those gaskets associated with the leak. As you take the rocker box apart it will be easy to see what needs to be replaced.
    Follow the service manual and you should have no issue.
    Start researching rocker box gasket how to threads and videos. Use the service manual as you step by step rocker box gasket replacement bible and any vids or threads you find for inhanced visual reference.
    I sincerely hope this puts you at ease, seems like you're a little stressed about this repair.
    Take your time and you should have no problems.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by tokinbuller View Post
    i also have the blue set of James intake gaskets. Should i use the blue ones or the ones that came in this kit? Do i put sealant on the intake gaskets as well? or do those just go straight in?
    The blue gaskets are thicker and they will bent the gaskets clamps. I used black gaskets from the kit once I had figured out the blue does not fit properly. But some people use blue. I did not use any sealant on the intake gaskets.
    Last edited by TPEHAK; 08-30-2017 at 01:54 PM.

He's asking about his rocker box gaskets.
    But if there is an intake leak, replacing with the blue James gaskets is a good idea. I used them on my bike the LAST time I did intake seals. They're not the easiest to fit, due to the thickness, but if you take your time the extra effort is well worth it.
    I coat matting surfaces with a light coat holymer blue when replacing seals. Due more to hold the new gaskets in place and I figure it doesn't hurt to have a little extra insurance against leaks.
    test for an intake leak prior to taking on the extra work. It's not a ton of work but it does take a little finesse.
    Google buell xb intake seal test for more info.

Quote Originally Posted by Chicknstripn View Post
    Do both rocker boxes cause I'd hate for you to have to go through this AGAIN. It's not necessary but great insurance you won't have to rotate the engine again for a while....... Hopefully.
    Use the James, if you haven't noticed, they have a reputation of being the best.
    If you're repairing a rocker box leak just replace those gaskets associated with the leak. As you take the rocker box apart it will be easy to see what needs to be replaced.
    Follow the service manual and you should have no issue.
    Start researching rocker box gasket how to threads and videos. Use the service manual as you step by step rocker box gasket replacement bible and any vids or threads you find for inhanced visual reference.
    I sincerely hope this puts you at ease, seems like you're a little stressed about this repair.
    Take your time and you should have no problems.
    Thats what i figured, mine as well do both since im there, and get the stock ones out. I do have the James set, got it last night.
    I have a few threads posted on pg 1 i am following, and have the service manual as well.

Though this is my first time doing this repair, not necessarly stressed just want to make sure i have all the right stuff, info i can

Quote Originally Posted by Chicknstripn View Post
    He's asking about his rocker box gaskets.
    But if there is an intake leak, replacing with the blue James gaskets is a good idea. I used them on my bike the LAST time I did intake seals. They're not the easiest to fit, due to the thickness, but if you take your time the extra effort is well worth it.
    I coat matting surfaces with a light coat holymer blue when replacing seals. Due more to hold the new gaskets in place and I figure it doesn't hurt to have a little extra insurance against leaks.
    test for an intake leak prior to taking on the extra work. It's not a ton of work but it does take a little finesse.
    Google buell xb intake seal test for more info.
    i am mainly referring to my rocker box gaskets, but i figured while im there, to do the intake seals as well, and replace all stock components with the James stuff.

I unfortuanely can only get the permatex stuff in my area, so i plan on using that on the rocker gaskets. should i use this on the intake seals as well?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast