Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Introduction. I just bought a XB9R

Introduction. I just bought a XB9R

Hello to all. I wanted to introduced my self. I just bought a 2003 XB9R with 20000 miles(My first motorcycle), my other vehicles are a 1995 Nissan 240SX, 1981 Datsun 810/Maxima and 1981 Datsun 210. I bought the XB9R from a guy that crashed it, so I got it for super cheap. Finding parts for this motorcycle has been a mission, but nothing impossible. I have already bought the triple tree, front wheel, brake/clutch lever and mirrors with integrated turn signals. I still need the Fairing Support Bracket, front disk, headlamps, speedometer... I'm still taking it apart to see what else it needs. Well anyways, I hope you could give me some advice and what to look for in these motorcycles. Thanks

Welcome, congrats on the project. There is a massive amount of knowledge available by searching and reading through old threads. Also there are tons of members willing to help out if needed. Any pics of the new project?

Welcome! Alot of the part are still available new from a local harley dealer or new castle hd or st paul hd on line. I bought a fairing stay new for the price of asking prices used a bit ago. Check your motor mounts after an impact!

And for what to expect from these bikes.....for me its miles of smiles!

www.buellmods.com for a service manual
    Are you familiar with ECMspy or ECMdriod? Now is a good time to start looking into those programs/software. You'll need one or the other to read trouble codes and perform throttle position resets.
    The above suggestion to start browsing the "sticky" section on the forum is spot on. You'll find a lot of the same thing questions you might have as a new Buell owner have already been posted and answered.
    Another good site/dealer for parts is Surdyke HD.
    BTW sounds like the bike you obtained has sustained a substantial front end/fork impact. Check the head/stem bearing are to insure that the upper or lower bearing/race area is not oblong. If it is, I don't think the frame is repairable.
    I might be way off on that assumption, however, I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong.
    You have any other details on the bike? Mods or service history? Have you been able to fire it up?

Thank you for the welcomed and the heads up. Here are some pictures. If you could tell me more that will be great. Honestly I have been working on cars almost all my life, but never on a motorcycle, so any additional help is appreciated.
    Here are some pictures.
    20170831_142512.jpg
    20170831_142519.jpg
    20170831_142552.jpg
    20170831_142559.jpg
    20170831_142710.jpg

Inactive
    that bikes' title status? it was crashed and crashed hard. i would NEVER consider putting that pile back on the road for a multitude of reasons and i work on these bikes 6 days a week....you've never touched one. break it up for parts and purchase a decent 2003 XB9 model if that's the year and motor size you desire. nice reasonable mileage models can be had for the cost of a new Vino 125.
    Last edited by user_deleted; 09-01-2017 at 12:58 PM.

To be honest with you, your choice of bike was a good one but the one you picked ( NOT GOOD )! That bike was hit hard in the front by looking at pics. That frame at the neck might be wasted. Don't know what you payed for it but like John stated and I agree is maybe use parts for other bike like motor (maybe) or sell parts that are good. Find one in better shape than that. But that is my 2 cents and who cares anyway.
    Last edited by rchuff; 09-01-2017 at 01:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Chicknstripn View Post
    www.buellmods.com for a service manual
    Are you familiar with ECMspy or ECMdriod? Now is a good time to start looking into those programs/software. You'll need one or the other to read trouble codes and perform throttle position resets.
    The above suggestion to start browsing the "sticky" section on the forum is spot on. You'll find a lot of the same thing questions you might have as a new Buell owner have already been posted and answered.
    Another good site/dealer for parts is Surdyke HD.
    BTW sounds like the bike you obtained has sustained a substantial front end/fork impact. Check the head/stem bearing are to insure that the upper or lower bearing/race area is not oblong. If it is, I don't think the frame is repairable.
    I might be way off on that assumption, however, I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong.
    You have any other details on the bike? Mods or service history? Have you been able to fire it up?
    I believe I was on to something?

And looking at the pictures, even if you got that bike for free, might not be worth the hassel.

BTW if the frame is damaged at the head bearing area, it can't be saved. From your pictures it looks like this is the case

Ouch!

I got a Headache just looking at it .

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast