Thread: Is this a gasket coming out?

Is this a gasket coming out?

Hey everyone, was hoping to get a bit of advice on an issue I'm noticing.

I started tracking a possible oil leak but tightened the oil pump and everything seemed ok. It's starting to cool off around here so I'm not sure if that's the cause of these changes.

In the pic below it seems like there was some oil leaking behind the rear cylinder but it thought it could be the tube on the left.

This morning on my commute it seemed like it was running quieter. Checked the oil level, looks fine then I looked in the area with the pic. The part circled seems like it might be a gasket coming out. So my question is this, if it just needs a tightening to seal the case back up can I do that or will I have to tear everything apart and replace them?

Or am I way off base and talking out of my ass? Thanks in advance!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Looks like you have your transmission vent tube circled. Is this where you believe it's leaking? If that's the case check your primary fluid level. An over filled primary will leak from said fitting/tube. Also, attempt to tighten the fitting the tube is connected to. Not the tube clamp, it's crimped, but the fitting.
    BTW don't you have a few threads going about a rocker box leak and engine cleaning?

1) clean that thing with some sort of engine degreaser. If you don't know what to use just ask your local auto parts store associate for assistance. Once clean you can see the source of the leak.

2) if you did post about rocker box gaskets leaking that might be run off from that area or I'm not seeing what you intended to highlight.

Inactive
    you depict the trans/primary vent hose which looks a tad moist. not that unusual.
    you also depict and i believe are describing the sealant the factory uses to seal case halves during production assembly. an XB motor is vertically split.....most all jap motors are horizontally split. either way they are assembled at the factory with case sealant. no gasket is ever used.

Quote Originally Posted by lunaticfringe View Post
    you depict the trans/primary vent hose which looks a tad moist. not that unusual.
    you also depict and i believe are describing the sealant the factory uses to seal case halves during production assembly. an XB motor is vertically split.....most all jap motors are horizontally split. either way they are assembled at the factory with case sealant. no gasket is ever used.
    Good eye lunatic!
    I could not see that in the pic!

Thanks for the quick replies! Sorry I meant to circle just to the right of that vent tube which would correspond with lunatics case sealant assessment. I wasn't sure what that tube was so thanks for that

I did post earlier and cleaned up that area really well. It's just that I ride it daily for work so it gets dirty fast. Somehow I found a rock from my gravel rides under my seat today.

I think the rocker base gasket is leaking and I just noticed the tiniest bit of leakage on the other side of the bike... But not enough to drip on the ground or anything. But from my research someone posted that I should monitor the oil levels and fill as necessary. It's a 5 month deep freeze here in Canada so I'm thinking I'll get a gasket kit over winter and learn a bunch.

So from what you guys have seen I should be ok to keep riding right? I really don't want to pull the truck out

Since your winter starts in about two months I'd say you're ok. Just be mindful that sometimes when a rocker box leak is left unattended it can lead to higher cylinder temps which could lead to an intake seal leak. However, if you're rotating the engine to repair a rocker box leak you might as well freshen up the intake seal.
    That's just my 2 cents.

Incedentally I had a rocker box leak I let go for way too long. It led to a fried cooling fan and an intake leak. Just FYI

Awesome thanks. I was trying to explain why the bike was running rough and thought that might be related. I just flushed the engine and primary oil and it seems to be running much better. Doesn't run nearly as hot now either so I'm really not complaining. Going to keep monitoring the leak though...