Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Alto Carbonite clutch installation (springs Yes/No)

Alto Carbonite clutch installation (springs Yes/No)

Hi guys,

Tomorrow I will be installing my new clutxh kit. However, the kit does not mention what tot do with the 2 springs/rings behind the clutch pack against the basket.

The parts 21 and 22 in this picture:
    http://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-99...loded_view.jpg

Pretty sure they need to stay in. But as it is a special clutch, I thought might aswell ask

T.i.a.

Nick

I would contact the company that makes the clutch kit.
    That's the best I can do for ya. I'm only familiar with the OEM clutch.
    Hopefully someone with more clutch expertise than myself will chime in.
    Good luck

Why would you think you wouldn't put them back in? I've never heard of that brand but they seem like a stock replacement to me? Are there more frictions/steels than stock? I would think the instructions would be VERY clear if your going to do anything other than R&R plates.

I contacted them, never replied. It's a high performance clutch kit that replaces the stock clutch "steel" plates by ones of their own. These have extra friction on to them + the usual friction plates.

Hmmm a little friction on friction, friction you say?

If there is the same total number of plates, I'd put all the pieces back in.

Inactive
    you're not going to get your answer on here. know of nobody active on this board with alto experience or knowledge.
    alto is one of the largest custom driveline component outfits in the world. they're located in atmore, AL which is down towards the gulf coast. contact them @ 251-368-7777.
    sarah or rebecca usually answer the phone. they are on US central time nicky which means they are 1 hour behind us here on the atlantic coast line so call accordingly.
    tell them who you are, what you bought, that john lutz from mid-atlantic cycle in PA told you to call.
    ask for either Robby or Roy in tech. you'll usually get robby. he's short, concise, to the point and a no BS guy which means you should be as well. simply give him year of your XB...part # of their kit that you purchased...and your installation question. i would also briefly tell him what primary/trans fluid you are planning to use and ask if in his opinion it is compatible with their components.
    Last edited by user_deleted; 09-05-2017 at 07:31 AM.

Thanks for the good write-up! I'll have a call, and see what they come up with. Didn't expect no experience with this clutch on this forum. They apparently are the best that you can get for the beasts. Maybe it's an idea from me to do a little review after a while.

Thanks guys, and ofcourse @lunaticfringe for the tips and tricks!

Inactive
    always my pleasure and yes, let us know the outcome. have had a dealer account with alto for over 20 years and they're very good folks.

I didn't chime in because I don't have Alto clutches in my Buell, but I do have Alto red clutches and steels in my chopper. I wasn't quite sure which of the many BDL open belt drives I had on my chop, called Alto, went out to the shop and the guy at Alto helped me decipher which of the BDL open belt drives I had over the phone. Super helpful, clutches have been in the bike for over five yrs now and have taken a beating. Zero problems.

Banned
    Is this kit just friction plates and rings? If so just measure the original clutch pack thickness and your new clutch pack thickness. If the thickness is the same you have to keep the parts you don't see in the kit. The idea is the parts stack must have the same thickness as the original setup.

If there are more parts, like new basket, new spring, etc, I would compare the original parts and the new parts from the kit to understand how it supposed to work and which parts I should keep.

Last edited by TPEHAK; 09-06-2017 at 02:00 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast