Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: XB Stock Muffler, muffler cable clip S0096.1AA Anyone have one, where des it fit?

XB Stock Muffler, muffler cable clip S0096.1AA Anyone have one, where des it fit?

Trying to reinstate the stock exhaust for a while.
    XB12XT 2010 model, one of the first of the last, built in June 2009.
    I have a "rattle" when the engine is running, from the flap area of the muffler.
    Looked at a parts breakdown and up comes this nylon clip.
    #9 in the diagram and list.

Can someone tell me please
    1. is it necessary
    2. where does it fit
    3. what is its function

4. could this be the cause of the rattle, or is there a known, likely suspect.

5. do you have one to spare?

I'm new here and seeking to learn, thanks. Sorry about the sideways pics, dunno how that happens.

IMG_5584.jpgIMG_5585.jpg

Inactive
    there is a hole on the right side muffler bracket. when i said right side bracket i mean the one that holds the screws for the right side of the factory lower cowling. specific and unique to the 12 muffler. the "blind hole" clip plugs into that hole. its purpose it to hold the cable in its proper place as designed. it's a small plastic clip that can be found at any decent auto parts store. be sure the one you buy has fingers sized correctly to plug into the hole and that it's ID is just a tad larger than the muffler cable.

Thanks so much for clearing that up. It's placing and function makes sense.
    It really had me confused and as a new owner attempting to source a rattle, thought it might be cause.
    Now know precisely what to look for. Not easy around my neck of the woods, Tasmania, Australia, however I'll give it a whirl.
    In a pinch something could be made.

Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by richo View Post
    Thanks so much for clearing that up. It's placing and function makes sense.
    It really had me confused and as a new owner attempting to source a rattle, thought it might be cause.
    Now know precisely what to look for. Not easy around my neck of the woods, Tasmania, Australia, however I'll give it a whirl.
    In a pinch something could be made.
    yes sir my pleasure. the clip is black colored nylon. in the automotive world it's called a blind hole cable tie. if you can't find one that has the same appearance as the factory one then just buy a cable tie with fingers on it that plug into a small hole. they are very common in the electrical contracting world. any hardware store over your way should have them. the rattle you're chasing might be either loose muffler clamps(1 in front-2 in rear) or sometimes the actual XB12 muffler valve rattles a bit at low speeds. these things shake like hell at idle.

Ahh, it's the actual muffler valve that's rattling. Spent too long being wired open I suspect.
    Now that I'm trying to reinstate its use, temporarily, it's a concern.
    The muffler bracket clamps are non existent, simple fabricated brackets welded to the muffler by a HD dealer and the valve wired open.
    PO was advised the servo was inoperable. That was BS, they were incompetent and unaware of how to test the servo. ( Buelltooth and ECMdroid sorted that)
    Sadly Buell has become the bastard, red haired step child here in Australia for HD dealers.

Thanks for your comprehensive replies, they're very much appreciated by a new owner on a steep learning curve.

Inactive
    my pleasure. as a suggestion if you're going back to "stock" is to rehab the stock muffler by grinding away the welds you mentioned, removing the amateur brackets installed on it, checking to see if the power valve will function properly with a bit of penetrating lube and attention to the pivot assembly, and reinstalling it along with your stock drive cable. should function properly if the IEV actuator assembly perched atop the airbox lid is functioning properly which you mentioned it is. if the factory front and rear engine mounting assemblies(#16 &17 in schematic) are in place then simply obtain the 1 front and 2 rear mounting straps and the header-to-muffler clamp and reinstall the muffler. should function properly. IF IT HELPS i ship vintage cycle parts to OZ almost every day and would be happy to send over what you might need if you purchase the parts over here where they're plentiful. have them sent to my dealership and i'll forward over to you.

That's an incredibly generous and kind offer. Thanks.

I'm still looking for a front mounting bracket assembly ( the bracket and the two spacers ). I've managed to buy a rear bracket, straps and the front strap is still available through the HD dealers.
    The welded stock muffler is in place, the butterfly valve in the muffler is okay, the spring is weakened from being held open permanently with wire. Now attached to the cable and after checking the actuator, it is reinstated. Quiet as a mouse, except for rattling from the butterfly valve, which quietens once the actuator has it in its control, which isn't often enough! ;-)
    I was fortunate enough to buy cheaply an XB muffler as a take-off from my local HD dealer, though the outlet is incorrect for the XB12XT. Could be easily swapped over I can see with a little grinding and welding.

The stock setup (once complete) will be my normal choice until such time as a Drummer SS or Buell race muffler falls miraculously into my lap....as I'm sure it won't.
    I have a K&N from an early race kit sitting in the wings, ECMspy and ECMdrod with a Buelltooth for the inevitable tune when it all comes together.
    Fortunately have some experience with tuning via the HD Screamin' Eagle race tuner and MyTune program which is a good thing for street HDs if developing maps requiring an affordable reliable algorithm for VEs and timing.

Once more, thanks muchly for your offer to forward ship to me, I'm humbled.

Inactive
    ^^^^^you're quite welcome.
    schematic # 18 is pair of spacers. comes as pair.....part # S0136.02A8..........also still in system.
    Last edited by user_deleted; 09-12-2017 at 01:57 AM.

Thanks.
    I've phoned a couple of the dealerships listed on dealer access inventory and drawn a blank.
    There was only one showing as having the bracket and bushings, Gails HD in Missouri. They couldn't find either of the parts.
    They're usually surprised when you phone from Australia. My local HD dealer are good folk, been dealing with them for 27 years.

On the HD Australia list it's an obsolete part., 6 dealers in the USA showing one, 2 down so far.
    eBay currently has but one "set" of well used front and rear mounts for $65.

I'll wait, something will come up if I turn over enough rocks and shake more bushes. Heck, it's a cheap part and there should be plenty kicking around.
    The postage is more than the part value new.
    Great to have someone willing to help in the East. You're an asset and a credit to this board.
    I have old mates in CA, NM and NY who often kindly bundle stuff up for this old biker in Oz.

Inactive
    don't know if it will help you out but just got in a complete xb9 muffler and all the goodies and don't need them. consists of everything in the pic. $100 buys all of it if that helps you out. would have to weigh up to get shipping total to OZ but it's under 4 US pounds so can ship USPS first class air which is least expensive method. let me know if you want all this stuff. regards, johnxb9.jpg

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast