Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HELP OUT A FUTURE BUELL BROTHER!!!

What's up guys I am a new rider and new to the forum. I am taking my riding course in a couple weeks and I am almost 100% set on a Buell but I do have a couple questions for anyone who's got time to share.

I love the look of the XB, I love the way they sound, and I love that they are American Built! My question though is are they good bikes and comfortable to ride on for a few hours? Who has had something different and come over to Buell and why?

Next, the XB9R is really what's in my price range right now for my first bike but I heard that they don't carry big guys well. I am 5'10'' about 270 and dropping. Would I be ok with the 9 or should I go for the 12?

I've got some more questions but I wanted to get a couple knocked out first. Thanks in advance for all the help.

1. First off I think the seat is much more comfortable than a traditional sportbike for 2 reasons. There is slightly more padding on the stock Buell seat than other sport bikes, also since the fuel is in the frame the airbox is a shorter length between the handle bars and the seat so when cruising on long rides you can sit in a more upright position. If you still need to tuck into the windscreen to take a corner hard it's very easy to change positions.

2. I bought the XB12R straight out of the box. I never had an XB9 but after riding my 12 for a couple months and then getting on my friends 9 I'm SOOOOOOOOOO glad I bought the 12. In my opinion the 12 screams in comparison to the 9 but I have always been a torque and speed junky.

Hope this helps. Also check out this page to see just how much you can do to these babies.

New Bueller Info Page

Welcome to the Forum

are they good bikes
    Yes

comfortable to ride on for a few hours?
    Depends on which model you're referring to.

Seat & Handlebar setup plays a huge role in properly answering your question.

"Stock" Firebolts are more of a jap bike setup.

"Stock" Lightnings are a little more comfortable, and a little less like a jap feel as far as riding position.

Who has had something different and come over to Buell
    I have had riden several bikes, and previously ONLY had jap bikes!!!

why?
    It's unique design and reputation for great cornering

Would I be ok with the 9
    Yes

should I go for the 12?
    Depends on preference. XB9's are 984cc(could be modified upto 1203cc and beyond)

go for the XB12R...just for sheer braggin right :D

"BUY USED" -- Dave Ramsey, Financial Genius --

"BUY USED" -- Dave Ramsey, Financial Genius --
    I 2nd this, not only the Buy Used part, but also the Dave Ramsey part. About the buy used, hopefully the worst that you will ever do is drop it, but you WILL drop it, especially since it's your 1st bike. That's just how it goes.

You're a new rider, so you'll be fine with the riding position. You won't be accustomed to anything, so it's just a matter of your back & ab muscles getting used to it.

Everyone's got valid points for a 9 or the 12. I say go for the best deal. I was gunning for a 9 and happened on a 12 at a great deal. Had I got a 9 though, I know I would've been wondering about the 12.

Whatever happens, Welcome to the Forum. Wear the gear and ride safe. :)

For a bigger buy like you, you might find the xb12ss a good fit

If you're going to buy used, you should really look over that bike with a fine tooth comb. I made the mistake of getting to friggin psyched about the bike I bought and overlooked SERIOUS red flags.

might want to take your time and look around your a big dude...you probably need more bike under you with more power...lot of bigger bikes out there for less money....taker your time and look around...make an appointment at a dealer to take a test ride

i'm 6' 255lbs or so and i've got a xb9r works fine for me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast