Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: HELP OUT A FUTURE BUELL BROTHER!!!

I have a xb12r and i have rode over 1000 miles in one trip. its not that un comfortable you get used to it.
    I am 5'11 to 6' and about 200lbs and i feel ok on it,
    Also i would not get a 9 you will get tired of it to soon you are a pretty heavy guy still so you on a 12 would be like someone in the 150lbs range on a 9 and of course when someone ask what you ride you can say a 1200:D

Go for the 12. I happen to know a good deal on an '06. just a tick over 5000 miles with the touring seats and extra Lightning pegs (1" lower for a little more comfort on longer rides) drop me a line frank@centeroftownlakewood.com
    Welcome, ride safe and enjoy.

So after reading all of these and talking with some of the sales guys at the local shops I think I am going to start with the xb9r. In my area they are easier to find and a lot cheaper...

My next question for you guys is: What am I looking for? I hear a lot of people say "go over a used bike with a fine comb" and "make sure you look at all the service records." Can any one give me some of the main things to look for on a bike.

I am thinking of taking a look at a used XB9R that is in my area. It is an 03 with the factory race ecm and exhaust. It says it has new brakes, tires and belts. It looks to be in really good condition but it says it has 14k miles, is that a lot for these bikes? I've seen others in the are with only like 3-5k. But the guy only wants $3500 and he says it has a clear title.

Thanks again for all the help fellas, it is much appreciated.

1. Ask them to remove the chin fairing and inspect the exhaust connections and mounts. While under there look for oil drip marks, cracks, anything out of the ordinary.

2. Check each cylinder head as best as you can for any oil dripping. If you see any there's a good indication that the rocker box gaskets are leaking.

3. If the exhaust is stock have him/her warm up the bike and then get on the throttle while you watch the servo open and close the butterfly valve that is on the top of the exhaust(right hand side).

4. Wipe your finger just under the fork seals and make sure there is not an excess of fluid on the forks. Look for any dust or dirt at the base of the forks that may have an oily residue as well.

5. Ride the bike and make sure all 5 gears are there up shifting and downshifting properly.

6. The bike should idle right around 1000rpm.

7. While riding the bike make sure the bike is stopping properly and there are no obvious defects with the braking including grinding, pulsing.

I'm sure there is more. That's just a few important ones.

Hey Frog welcome to the forum. I will just put in my 2pennies. I bought a 2004 xb12s as my first street bike I have ever owned. I will admit,I was a little intimidated at first with the 1200. But, it did not take long to get the feel for it. I also think it would be a good plan to go with a used bike the first time around. What if you decide it's not for you? What if you drop it? You wont get beat up as bad with the auto-depreciation of a brand new one. If you decide to buy from a private party, I would ask him to bring it to your local dealer so they can check it out. Good luck man. Throw some pics on here when you get one.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12