Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Model year info help

Question Model year info help

Back in 09 I remember when Buell released the new bikes with black frames. At the time I was on an xb12r but the hero blue lightning really caught my eye and I would have loved to own one. Now that I'm back on a Buell and remembering how fun they are, I'm keeping my eye out for my 'dream Buell' if it comes along. I never knew which models came in the black/hero blue but since I've been researching lately I'm surprised that I haven't seen an xb12s model for 09 and 10. Is it true that there is no xb12s for these years or am I just completely missing it in any literature? I have seen that the xb12scg and ss come in hero blue but what about the s?

Here are my references:

https://www.autoevolution.com/news/b...neup-9398.html
    https://www.totalmotorcycle.com/phot...09models-Buell
    http://www.motorcycle.com/manufactur...led-86938.html

If this is the case, what are my options for a 12s in black/hero blue? Keep in mind that I'm the type that really likes factory/stock vehicles and keeping them that way. Or at least modifying lightly without ruining the ability to return to stock easily. The scg is way to low for me and the lowered look is not my favorite. I have ridden an 09 ss and regardless of the specs, it doesn't feel as light or nimble as my old r and it just feels too big. Ergonomically, my s is just right.

I understand that the ss is a different frame but the scg is essentially forks and a shock away from the 12s. So it seems to me that in order to create an s, I'd get an scg and swap parts over. Would parts from the 12r of the same year work or are they different?

What do you all think?

Well if this is not conclusive I don't know what is...

https://www.twinmotorcycles.nl/artik...cid=18&aid=191

Vin lookup doesn't show an xb12s for 09-10. Guess the best bet would be a fork and shock swap from the r.

Inactive
    I'm surprised that I haven't seen an xb12s model for 09 and 10. Is it true that there is no xb12s for these years
    yes.

you're missing one of the most fun, best riding, coolest looking XB's ever made....the cityX aka the SX...aka KX on the VIN plate.
    available only in transluscent colors of orange krate, hero blue, kick ash and cherry bomb. later editions have black frames and choice of transluscent colors. later hero blue editions have hero blue wheels....earlier editions do not. here's a nice example from my collection being a late 2009 cherry bomb cityX/SX model. find a nice black frame model and if not hero blue then purchase the hero blue screen and airbox cover all of which are still available new in the H-D pipeline. powdercoat the wheels to match. a very fun project and relatively easy to do if you know how to work on an XB.

cherry2.jpgcherry2 (4).jpg

twin's info very nice....this is even better. the definitive buell production bible.

http://daviddreesen.blogspot.com/201...1983-2009.html
    Last edited by user_deleted; 09-15-2017 at 11:11 AM.

Awesome link Lunatic! Never saw that before.

I'm still looking for that cool poster that has them all....

Quote Originally Posted by lunaticfringe View Post

you're missing one of the most fun, best riding, coolest looking XB's ever made....the cityX aka the SX...
    I'm torn, actually. I love the cityX styling for the most part. It ticks all my boxes, however, I'm not sold on the 9 motor yet. My 05 12r was so torquey in the midrange it was well matched to my style of riding (mostly city, hills on the weekends). My 03 9s seems to have a softer midrange but more pull up top. It is fun to rev out for sure. Maybe a little more seat time and I'll come around...

I'm still considering fork and rear spring (shock too?) swap onto an scg. Seems like that will essentially give me the 12s. Thanks for the reply!

Quote Originally Posted by lunaticfringe View Post
    twin's info very nice....this is even better. the definitive buell production bible.
    Great resource, thanks for sharing! Even though they didn't make an s 09+, at least I know what my options are now.

A Scg to S swap is easy.
    Rear shock assembly, forks, and don't forget the kickstand

Nice link, John! Here is a document that I downloaded at some point (can't recall from where...may have been from someone on this forum ) that has similar information. And, here is a similar poster but including '09 and '10 years. Always wanted to find it in a high enough resolution to actually make a poster.

Buell Production Numbers.pdf
    Buell History Poster.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by submax View Post
    ...Always wanted to find it in a high enough resolution to actually make a poster.
    This should do the trick...

http://froggypwns.com/buellpdfs/Buel...er_24x36HR.pdf

Inactive
    thanks james. thanks shaughn. lady friend of mine here in hillbillyland, PA owns a graphic arts company. she's also very large breasted. i digress. would there be sufficient interest in this poster for me to see what her minimum quantity would be along with cost per???? just wondering. i'll send spymac's link to her and find out this morning.

Im in! My garage is sadly lacking cool Buell stuff

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast