Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: What to do first? Buell XB12Ss parked almost 2.5 years

Is Ultrasonic cleaning practical to put back the injectors in tiptop condition? No, this will do nothing internally to clean the injector only the outside. To clean them internally in an ultrasonic bath they need to be cycling open/closed with pressure flowing the contamination out of the internals. I realize you are out of the US but see if this type of service is offered locally to you or you can send them out reasonably if you decide to go forward with getting it done.
    http://injector-rehab.com/shop/Dynamic-Cleaning.html

Not sure if I broke the fuel hose clip on the fuel rail, it still does go back flip up and snap in as I push it. You would know if it broke as the tabs that lock it in once the line is seated over the fuel rail brake off (lots of heat on these and they become brittle).

I would do as Cooter suggested earlier, just drain the tank and bench test the pump after cleaning it up thoroughly (not sure if it's salvageable). My '08 XB12Ss sat for exactly 2.5 years as well, however mine was in an insulated garage in southern Arizona. I was able to get away with draining the fluids (engine oil, primary, and fuel), new battery, some repair work which was the reason why the bike sat for 2.5 years, and then BAM... it's running again, no issues. I wish you luck on reinstating your machine.

I wouldn't worry about the injectors, but the fuel pump sounds like it may need replacement. After 2.5 years of sitting, the 1 gallon of fuel left in my tank wasn't rancid and I just dumped it into my truck, ran fine. I'm situated in a hot, dry climate however, so a far cry from the Phillipines.

Quote Originally Posted by Cooter View Post
    You can hit the 3rd button from the left and follow the instructions to post a pic, or if you have them on a site like Flikr (free), hit the button that looks like e-mail reply and paste that link.

If the clip snaps back in place, you're all good.

The pump is for a 1987 V-6 mustang (IIRC) you can google the Walbro number on it and get an e-bay replacement for $30 or so. The filter isn't nearly a specific, but get a metal one it just needs to fit, and the teabag thing is called a 'sock' that should come with the new pump.

Ultrasonic cleaning should be fine. Even better if you can pressurize them and activate the solonoid with a 9V battery to shake stuff loose. Lots of youTube master mechanic videos on the subject.
    Sorry, dumb question, but can't exactly locate that 3rd button you mentioned for posting pics?

Quote Originally Posted by lowkey View Post
    Is Ultrasonic cleaning practical to put back the injectors in tiptop condition? No, this will do nothing internally to clean the injector only the outside. To clean them internally in an ultrasonic bath they need to be cycling open/closed with pressure flowing the contamination out of the internals. I realize you are out of the US but see if this type of service is offered locally to you or you can send them out reasonably if you decide to go forward with getting it done.
    http://injector-rehab.com/shop/Dynamic-Cleaning.html

Not sure if I broke the fuel hose clip on the fuel rail, it still does go back flip up and snap in as I push it. You would know if it broke as the tabs that lock it in once the line is seated over the fuel rail brake off (lots of heat on these and they become brittle).
    I will try to visit the fuel injector shop and see if they have this injector rehab service.

Quote Originally Posted by Mesozoic View Post
    I would do as Cooter suggested earlier, just drain the tank and bench test the pump after cleaning it up thoroughly (not sure if it's salvageable). My '08 XB12Ss sat for exactly 2.5 years as well, however mine was in an insulated garage in southern Arizona. I was able to get away with draining the fluids (engine oil, primary, and fuel), new battery, some repair work which was the reason why the bike sat for 2.5 years, and then BAM... it's running again, no issues. I wish you luck on reinstating your machine.

I wouldn't worry about the injectors, but the fuel pump sounds like it may need replacement. After 2.5 years of sitting, the 1 gallon of fuel left in my tank wasn't rancid and I just dumped it into my truck, ran fine. I'm situated in a hot, dry climate however, so a far cry from the Phillipines.
    You are a lucky man to have that bike ran again without so much issues.

I drained the fuel yesterday, and pee like color came out and as mentioned, black sediments and crushed pieces of screen as I pulled the pump halfway.
    I can't pull the pump all the way out as I haven't removed the wheels yet, perhaps this coming weekend.

I probably leave the injectors for now and make the bike start first, incase any fuel issues arises then thats the time I'll pull it out for a rehab.

You might have to improvise a replacement fuel sock, but if the Philippines is anything like India, you should be able to make something work. I would probably start with a local motorcycle shop to see if you could get your hands on a sock from another EFI bike.

I don't think those kind of fuel pump parts ever exists anywhere here. I'd rather get it there in the U.S. or eBay. it will save my time and effort, just have to get the right and exact part.

Inactive
    sir: allow me to add a few tips and pointers plus my voluntary assistance if needed. you've gotten wonderful advice so far from the usual suspects so allow me to add the following:
    1-remove the pump...order the below full rebuild kit...do NOT order the $19 Chinese-junk kit. price is tempting but contents real garbage. prior to diassembling be certain to have rebuild kit in hand. then and only then disassemble pump assembly and install new rebuild kit parts.
    2-rebuild kits do NOT come with the 2 pump housing O-rings. they must be replaced. individually they are a bit expensive. i keep them in stock for my buells and board members. price is cheap. O-ring factory part # is P0125.02A8-----2 required. also available with suffix A after that part #. it is the same part. list price about $6.50 each. must be lubed with O-ring silicone type lube prior to pump installation or they'll nick, tear and leak.
    3-NOT required but highly recommended: replace the fuel level sensor while rebuilding pump. factory part # is P0789.KA if it's not faulty now it will be very soon. list price about $15
    4-when working on pump examine it closely and you'll see a metal strap or little support bracket. check the pump wires in the vicinity of that little metal piece. sometimes they rub against it, chafe their insulation away and short to ground. check them if you plan on reusing original pump motor.
    5-if going with new pump the factory part # is P0130.5AA (suffix B2Q sometimes required when ordering) list price $319. plenty still available.
    6-NOT required but HIGHLY recommended: when reinstalling pump add approx. 4 liters of fuel and let the bike sit overnite. next morning check for fuel leaks around housing AND drain plug. this way if any leaks appear much easier to remedy and less fuel to remove from frame.
    lastly...see link below as per #1 above. top quality.
    offer of help: i ship parts to various countries worldwide 6 days a week. if you cannot for whatever reasons source these parts in the phillipines or online let me know. i'll order in what you need and ship it over to you. keep most of the new parts in stock.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Buell-EFI-F...!US!-1&vxp=mtr
    Last edited by user_deleted; 03-12-2018 at 12:57 PM.

Thank you for your offer.
    The pump kit link you posted doesnt have the fuel filter, mine is badly rusted and most probably busted. Do you know the part number for that filter? Or exact replacement?

Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by Rustic View Post
    Thank you for your offer.
    The pump kit link you posted doesnt have the fuel filter, mine is badly rusted and most probably busted. Do you know the part number for that filter? Or exact replacement?
    not sure what you're referring to. both the strainer/filter and regulator clearly pictured in ad. bought 2 of these in past 6 months and those parts included.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast