Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What to do first? Buell XB12Ss parked almost 2.5 years

What to do first? Buell XB12Ss parked almost 2.5 years

Greetings! to all Buellxb forum members.

Newbie here from Philippines, I have a 2008 Buell XB12Ss (euro) and I left it for nearly 2.5 years with fuel in tank as I've been working overseas.

I want to know what other important things to do first apart from putting new batteries, draining fuel, cleaning fuel lines and cleaning injectors?

any help would really be appreciated.

Thanks.

Sounds like you have the basics covered.
    Since you have to drain the fuel I would also pull the pump assembly to check the condition of the external fuel screen/sock and replace the fuel filter. Not sure if the pump would need to be replaced but I wouldn't replace it unless it's not working properly.
    I would recommend changing the engine and primary oil. Also, don't forget fresh plugs!
    Good luck

I'd bleed the brakes with fresh fluid, only costs a few bucks and maybe an hours time.

If it hasn't been turned over in 2.5 years, pull the plugs and put a little bit of oil in the cylinders, then let it sit overnight. Next day unplug the fuel pump, crank the motor a few revs with with the plugs out then put in fresh plugs. Make sure to stuff rags over the plug holes to prevent oil from spraying everywhere.
    Last edited by spymac; 09-15-2017 at 11:27 PM.

If it's been literally 2.5 years, and it has honestly just "sat". I'd just top it off with fresh fuel and run it easy until you need to fill up again. Check your tire pressure and for dry rot where they were on the ground
    There may be a bit of condensation in the oil, but it will evaporate once it gets to stay at temp for awhile.

I know I'll get crap for that, but honestly it's not that long a time and WAAAAY better than: firing it up cold every month-revving the crap out of it-and shutting it back off. Which is the abuse most of the 'low-mileage' bikes see. Then the oil is full of acidic gas from all the cold starts, and it's been started dry too much. Bad deal.

And most time people say "2.5 years" that means 5....so...

Here is some, don't listen to him ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^, he's been drinking cheap beer !

Change the oil and filter, it's cheap and only a little work. When you remove the plugs to squirt oil in them, check them, if they look good, run with them. Definitely, check the tires ! Make sure nothing made a home in the muffler. Oil all the cables. Treat it nice, she's been waiting 2 1\2 years to be taken out on a date.

Good luck with it.

Thank you very much to everyone here, really appreciate the help.
    I'm still gathering all things needed for the fix, just bought new tires pirelli scorpion trail II, KN filters, 10R12X spark plugs (champion), DEKA 14TX battery, Bell DOT4 fluids and waiting for the Amsoil 20W50 V-twin oil to arrive.
    Anyone using the BUELLTOOTH ? I like their XB-SS exhaust but only fitted for the bigger OEM headers.

I don't think you have Ethenol in your fuel, so it might be alright. If your not sure,, just empty it out and put fresh fuel in it and go.

Quote Originally Posted by njloco View Post
    I don't think you have Ethenol in your fuel, so it might be alright. If your not sure,, just empty it out and put fresh fuel in it and go.
    I thought about starting out since I'm free today, went ahead and attempted to remove the injectors, took off the centre bolt rail mount and FI harness, removed the clips per injector as well.
    Can I just rock off the rail while pulling?

Also, quite unfortunate, the gas cap doesn't turn open with the key.

Perhaps just a bit of pb blaster in the gas cap key hole (and let it sit a bit) might free up your gas cap...not too much, though.

don't think we have such pb blaster here in the country. however, big thanks.

anyone knows how to remove the fuel rail and injectors, is it just by pulling?

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast