Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: What to do first? Buell XB12Ss parked almost 2.5 years

Why would you pull the fuel injectors and fuel rail off ? Clean the battery cable hook ups clean all the grounds on the bike ( no matter what they look like ) apply an anti-corrosive. Check the air filter, put new gas in it with some kind of good fuel system cleaner, install new fully charged battery in and see if it starts. If it does start, be ready to jump on it and give her a good run !

Good luck

P.S. no PB blaster, any good penetrating oil should work. I also use a little liquid graphite to keep it working.
    Last edited by njloco; 03-11-2018 at 03:14 PM.

Without a professional injector cleaning machine, it's kinda pointless to remove them, but if you feel you must... don't forget the little allen bolt (7) for the rail and the clip on the top of each injector (8).

IMPORTANT: On an XB, there is a specific injector for front and rear, and keep the rotation as close as you can to how you took them out.

Quote Originally Posted by Cooter View Post
    IMPORTANT: On an XB, there is a specific injector for front and rear, and keep the rotation as close as you can to how you took them out.
    The injectors will come out with the fuel rail as the clip #8 in the diagram Cooter posted will keep them there until you remove it. The injector to manifold is seated by an O-ring and held in place when the fuel rail is bolted in. Like Cooter said the injectors are cylinder specific and have a color band on them along with the injector clip, if you install the injector to the wrong cylinder you will be spraying fuel away from the intake runner, if you install the injector plug (color coded harness plug) clip to the wrong cylinder the ECM will send the pulse width to the wrong cylinder.
    Aligning the injector for proper spray is quite simple though, once you have the rail seated and the cleaned injectors in (with fresh lubed O-rings) with harness clips off, just twist the injector so its clip end is pointing 90 degrees (out towards the right side of the bike) from the intake manifold runner. Do not attempt removal if you plan to reuse the old O-rings, do not mess with the fuel line supply-to-rail connection, you will 90% break the clip and have to order up a new fuel line. If you need more slack disconnect the fuel line at the pump housing and feed the line up the frame. You mentioned fresh fuel so you can also drain the old fuel out at the pump housing drain plug.

Quote Originally Posted by Cooter View Post
    It is interesting how different the XB9 and XB12 intake manifold/fuel rail is. XB12 manifold is cast in 1pc (#11 #13 all in one) and the fuel rail on a XB12 does not have the wishbone for mounting with the #15 bolts, instead it is secured at the #7 bolt only.

Both statements are true lowkey^^^^. I just grabbed the easiest pic (happened to be an XB9, maybe its an early '03?) off Twin M/C.

I still think the OP should just leave it alone, put in a tank of premium, new battery and oils, then ride her 'till she screams for mercy!

We all know if you baby her, she'll be a bitch. Treat her a little dirty and she'll reward you with big smiles.

Just making an observation on the little differences is all... I do find it interesting. Having the #10 junction is just one more potential intake leak point. He asked about the injectors so I thought I'd give him the info I have from first hand experience is all. I make no comment on what or what not to do on getting it back on the road, although I do like the oiling the cylinders to lube the rings comment.

I went back and looked. Sure enough '03 only XB 9. Interesting, I hadn't seen the 2-piece intake before.

I should have noticed he has an '08. DDFI-3 and a IAC motor, lol.

I should be more careful, people do take this stuff literally, depending on a strangers cursory search and posted link and without doing their own due diligence.

I'll need that disclaimer as my sig,

I managed to partially pull out the pump, and its in a very bad state. (How to upload PHOTOS here?)
    Seems like the teabag filter crushed and turned into black sediments. Pump parts were all rusted.
    Should I continue removing the injectors based on the pump's status or just leave it as it is? Is Ultrasonic cleaning practical to put back the injectors in tiptop condition?
    I'm aware of the bolt #7 on the illustration and took it off as well and will be aware of the harness and injectors front and rear orientation.

Not sure if I broke the fuel hose clip on the fuel rail, it still does go back flip up and snap in as I push it.

I've read the replacement pump for xb12 and trying to gather more infos on which one would be the best? I can't spend out for a new fuel pump.

Again, thanks to all the members comments and suggestions.

You can hit the 3rd button from the left and follow the instructions to post a pic, or if you have them on a site like Flikr (free), hit the button that looks like e-mail reply and paste that link.

If the clip snaps back in place, you're all good.

The pump is for a 1987 V-6 mustang (IIRC) you can google the Walbro number on it and get an e-bay replacement for $30 or so. The filter isn't nearly a specific, but get a metal one it just needs to fit, and the teabag thing is called a 'sock' that should come with the new pump.

Ultrasonic cleaning should be fine. Even better if you can pressurize them and activate the solonoid with a 9V battery to shake stuff loose. Lots of youTube master mechanic videos on the subject.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast