Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Speedometer and odometer intermittently quit working

I've had this exact same problem for over a year now (08 XB12R) but I've just never gotten around to posting about it. Mine happens now and then, usually when the bike is hot after I've stopped for gas or whatever. The speedo doesn't come back on, the odometer doesn't work and sometimes the check engine light comes on. Shutting the bike off and restarting while rolling doesn't help but if I bump start it while rolling everything is good. Sorry to throw in extra complications, lol. Any ideas?

Wayne

I'll let you know what I find. I have been spending most of my time prepping for a job interview that I have on Wednesday, but after that is over I'll have more time and will tackle it this weekend.

I had that issue on another bike and it turned out to be that electrical connectors were corroded. I cleaned them out with a tooth pick and electrical parts cleaner and add some dielectric grease and the problem was solved. Maybe it's just a bad/loose connection.

Thanks. I need to replace the ground bolt under the steering head (which I have purchased), and replace that one 4 pin connector under the fairing as I know the pins are corroded. I think I'm going to replace with a waterproof connector instead of cleaning the pins, but could use some guidance on where to buy good connectors. The connectors I bought for my hella headlights are OK but definitely not the same quality as the ones like you'd see on you brand new car.

Due to the recent issues that have come up in my family I haven't had any time to deal with this issue. I don't know when I'll get back to the bike, but I still feel like riding. Not sure my wife will feel the same but we'll see. I'd hate to have her lose the two closest people in her life due to motorcycle wrecks.

The speedo on my XB9 2002 stopped working and the connector was full of oil and the cables frayed. Fitted a new as I had one to hand.20230728_121502.jpg

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12