Thread: 04 Lightning rear wheel spacer

04 Lightning rear wheel spacer

My drive side bearing failed yesterday and chewed up the spacer. Does anyone know where i can locate one? St Paul HD have them on back order and don't expect them till 29 November. Going to try a few local Harley dealerships and see how i go. Also any tips for removing whats left of that bearing.Only the outer cage remains. Any help appreciated.
    Brisbane Australia btw.

E-bay should have one for you. All '03-'10 XB and 1125 wheels are the same except the 2010 Uly 3-bearing rear wheels.

As far as taking out the outer race only, it's not too big a PITA. The only way I could get the right angle on a front wheel was with a thin (SHARP) punch was to go through the little holes in the wheel hub, use a rag so you don't scratch it up and work your way around evenly.

Good luck! Don't wheels rotate the opposite way down under?

Inactive
    the dimensions for the rear wheel single bearing per side wheel spacer is as follows: 202.8 +/- 0.05 mm, 7.984 +/- 0.002 inch
    the factory part # is g0323.02a8

as shaughn mentioned the outer bearing shell sits on a pocket or floor. with very sharp long punch just go in thru the rotor side and punch out the remains. do NOT put the punch against the the pocket or floor and pound it or you run the risk of cracking the entire wheel hub.

Lunatic, thats great info for the spacer dimensions! I killed a front one on my last trip and its almost easier to just spin one up on the lathe.

Thanks for the reply guys. Looked on Ebay AUS and US and couldn't find a rear spacer, plenty of fronts. Thanks too for clarifying for me about the pocket/floor issue. Think i'll go and buy a nice long punch so i don't have to damage a good screwdriver. The dimensions may come in handy yet as i know a man with a lathe that works for beer.

The search is over. Local HD dealer Morgan and Wacker have located everything i need in Sydney. Should be rolling again by the weekend. Helps when you have part numbers.
    Cheers

Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooter View Post
    Lunatic, thats great info for the spacer dimensions! I killed a front one on my last trip and its almost easier to just spin one up on the lathe.
    sure thing shaughn. it's just hollow tube steel...nothing fancy. all you really have to do to fab one is to measure the OD of the bad tube, the OD of the axle, find tube stock with an ID slightly larger than the axle OD, the correct wall thickness and just fab one up. good thing is still plenty of them left in the H-D parts system.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by KevXB12S View Post
    My drive side bearing failed yesterday and chewed up the spacer. Does anyone know where i can locate one? St Paul HD have them on back order and don't expect them till 29 November. Going to try a few local Harley dealerships and see how i go. Also any tips for removing whats left of that bearing.Only the outer cage remains. Any help appreciated.
    Brisbane Australia btw.
    I would use cheap Home Depot welder and tack welt a few bolts on the bearing cage around it and attached them to slide hammer somehow and pulled this stuff out the wheel.

You also might be able to pull cage out using general bearing puller you can rent in Autozone. You have to attach bearing puller claws to internal groove of the cage and pull this with slide hammer.
    Last edited by TPEHAK; 09-18-2017 at 06:56 AM.

Yes, planning on picking up a slide hammer kit at Tradetools tomorrow as well as a long punch. Got it soaking in WD40 at the moment.
    Cooter, my rear wheel doesn't have the small holes in the hub. I think my wheels came off a 06 Ulysees . Silver wheels, the originals were gold.

It's not that extreme of a press fit, so just get creative. A sharpened flat head screw driver with a little bend at the tip could get behind the race in the well of the hub from the side. The most important part is to get it out evenly. The race is much harder than the wheel and you don't want to kill the hub!

A bearing puller is super hard to get a grip on the smooth, round outer race where the rollers go. I have one you can borrow just ship it back when you're done