Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Primary Chain Adjustment Question

So this is what I gotta aim for:

Primary chain.png

I gave myself 1 inch of play on my first adjustment. So my chain has too much slop in it and that is causing the knock that I hear.

Thank you gentlemen for your time and patience. Your expertise is most appreciated and I am in awe of your knowledge. I apologize for my infantile understanding of the process and I am very grateful to have been taught something. Have a good weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by Cooter View Post
    I go a little old skool with this adjustment.

With the bike idling in neutral, I back off the adjuster until you hear the noise get louder (rackety noise, it's obvious), then tighten slowly. You will hear it get quiet and then louder again (a more of a buzzing noise, still obvious) then back off 1/2 that distance.

IMO, it eliminates the question of tight spots in the primary chain and it's really fast and easy to do. I check them after JIC, but have always been within spec after adjusting that way. YMMV
    Thanks for this bit of advice Cooter!

I had the hardest time finding neutral on my XB9. Tried the clutch adjustment, primary oil level, primary chain tension by measurement without much luck.
    But doing it dynamically with the engine running was what finally did the trick!

Rides like a charm now. My clutch hand thanks you!

Cool! Glad it worked out for ya

Cooter,

Is the bike just on the kickstand when you do the primary adjustment this way ?

I suppose you could do it with kickstand, but it is a little harder fiddling with the tension nuts with the bike tilted to its left side.

My bike also vibrates so much at idle that I wouldn't trust my kickstand to not shake loose and crush me while I'm on that side. I felt a bit safer using a rear wheel lift/stand.

It goes without saying that for anyone using this method, make sure you don't accidentally shift it into gear while engine is running and rear wheel is lifted.

NJ, you could do it on the kickstand easily, it's a >5 minute job.

I'll just stick mine on the stand or the lift, but I have spools on mine for a solid purchase. I don't trust the ones with greasy rubber pegs, on the greasy bottom of the swingarm, while the bikes running. IMO.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123