Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need a little tuning help please! Free Spirits exhaust this time

Need a little tuning help please! Free Spirits exhaust this time

OK, I am well aware that everyone is really sick of tuning questions after the last few weeks but I find myself in need of direction here. I'll try to keep this organized and real short so as to preserve our sanity

I have a 2009 XB12Ss with 3,000 miles on it. Ran great, but sounded like a vacuum cleaner. So I had to mess with it. I picked up a Free Spirits reverse exit exhaust from a forum member because I obviously have some attraction to weird things that are uncommon. And also because I just have to do everything the hard way. Looks like this:
    20170909_191224.jpg

The problem I have is with tuning. I have the BUEZD ECM so files aren't readily available, and I have never seen a tune for this exhaust for any firmware. And I have been reading that this version of the ecm has been known to be buggy and problematic all by its lonesome. Fantastic! I've got Buelltooth and Ecmdroid, ECM spy, and Tunerpro RT at my disposal. I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing with the latter two. Willing to learn (just more than a little apprehensive to start out with no clear direction).

I've tried a Buell race map as well as a D&D map from Buelltooth, neither of them are close to perfect for my application. It's rideable, but with some rather unnerving flat spots. And most alarmingly both programs I have tried do this if I let the bike idle too long:
    20170909_193342.jpg

That pic was provoked slightly by me for drama, but they will glow without my provocation. Only at idle, it's fine while being ridden. So what would you guys recommend I do? I can monitor anything you'd like (and maybe you'd be so kind as to let me know what in the hell I'm looking at!) and provide you with any information I forgot to include. I've already contacted Free Spirits who chose to disregard my questions about tuning their exhaust and inform me that they have discontinued production of their Buell exhausts. Good to know, thanks for that illuminating communique there Free Spirits.

I also emailed IDS to see if they have any suggestions. Immediate goals would be 1) cease to be a 93 octane idling night light 2) smooth linear power band, especially while transitioning from cruise to acceleration. That's where I'm at. Does anyone else on the forum have this exhaust or know of anyone who does? Thanks in advance, I appreciate any help I can get. And I'd much rather get help than brick this thing!

do you have ECM droid; ECM spy and a version of Megalogviewer? Its really easy to make a tune.

Edit* ok you have these, not sure about Turnerpro RT though as i havent used it. I used Megalogviewer for viewing logs and making fuel maps. I believe there is a free version if your interested. Not sure my knowledge will apply to Turnerpro.
    Last edited by tokinbuller; 09-21-2017 at 01:22 PM.

badarse exhaust BTW

TunerPro is worth learning as it opens up the whole ECM to changes (always save the original first). There is a tuning guide and a setup guide out there for it. With a little searching there is a lot of info out there on using it to tune, I printed out the relevant info as I found it. To dial the tune in outside of the closed loop area you will need a wide band O2 setup.

I'm attempting to record some things in order to see which way to jump and am not having much luck. When I try to check the AFV all it shows is 85.2% rear and 100% front. And so far that's all it shows while in the live data channels as I'm warming it up.

Also just noticed that there is a box checked that says closed loop is enabled. Is that locking the bike into closed loop operation only? Hmmm....

And while I might get some kind soul's attention, how do I view engine temp on the ECMDroid app? Thanks, I really feel like putting a carb on this thing.

I'll suggest the same thing I did on the previous thread for the straight pipe tuning. Widebands. You will never get it tuned properly if you don't spend a little bit of money. $320 for a DLG-1 and you'll KNOW what it's doing. Narrow band O2 sensors simply will NOT do the job.
    If you have $$ to burn, I'd go with a 4 or 5 gas analyzer, but it's kinda silly to do so with widebands as cheap as they are.

If you want to go a little farther into it and actually log it, you'll need a couple of wires to add to the harness on the gray connector, pins 1 and 33.

Can anyone answer the questions I've asked? Much like nearly everyone who visits this board I have zero interest in further complicating this with a wideband 02 sensor.

Idle closed loop? That should be checked. Engine temp in droid is CLT. Record a log with the Droid app. Just click the box to convert to MSL file on the logging screen.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast