Thread: Blown clutch after just a couple hundred miles.

Blown clutch after just a couple hundred miles.

Friend of mine blew his clutch, had a member here replace it with a power clutch.

He went out of town and left the bike with me. I took it on the highway, notices it just revs past 4k rpm, then after a few seconds it just revved in 5th and was going nowhere.

Now he says it's the third time.

My guess is an improper install, perhaps the clutch plates weren't installed in the right order or the spring adjustments weren't done to spec.

Any tips in the right direction? Any recommended clutches on the market?

And finally anyone in the NYC area have a shop manual I can borrow?

Go to www.buellmods.com to download a service manual
    Insure that the clutch has been adjusted properly and primary fluid level is correct. Also insure that the primary chain is adjusted correctly.
    If the clutch is still having issues, it's time to disassemble the primary and inspect all the clutch components to find the root cause of the problem.

it sounds like it is adjusted improperly, which is why it would lose grip at higher rpms. Like Chicknstripn said, adjust the clutch to spec first and go from there.

A clutch lever that is adjusted too tight will repeatedly burn out clutch packs for sure. Especially considering someone installed the power clutch. Make sure the clutch engages fully with the lever out. I bet thats it.
    You would know right away if the frictions and steels were installed in the wrong order, and the springs are not adjustable, the bolts just get torqued.
    I've had good luck with Barnett clutches and they've been around for a long time. YMMV.
    Chicken is right go to Buellmods.com or Buelltooth.com for a free .pdf manual download