Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: DIY: Cheap steering damper

I'm sure theres a place in the UK that can tap the one bolt hole you need. Check local auto shops.

Finally did this install. Was planned to do on the lightning I had, but that bike went down the road and I did the damper on the fine uly I bought last year. Pretty much followed cooter changes to the process. Turned out pretty good. 20210123_175905.jpg20210123_175917.jpg
    Last edited by BuellyBagger; 05-27-2021 at 03:55 PM.

Mine has 25 clicks soft to hard (phrasing) where should I start 5 or 6ish?

Totally depends on the damper and even the temperature. Start LOOSE! Too tight and you'll fall over the first time you pull into a gas station and have to wag the bars in a tight spot, haha.

I like to start at zero and keep turning it up in the garage until I can start just to feel resistance when i go lock to lock, that would be my minimum setting. You should not have to fight it or even notice it at all when you are normally riding.

Since it's the most noticeable at very slow maneuvering speed... go do a slow, tight, slalom. If it feels fine, turn it up, if it feels uneasy turn it down. Keep doing that and you'll probably leave it at that setting forever. I REALLY like having mine on and it helps a ton especially when the front tire starts to square off and you feel like the bike falls into corners and you have to catch it to stay up. This solved that for me.

I had a gpr on my first uly and loved it. You're right cooter it does smooth out the "fall" into a turn. The front end on these bikes are super "free" and I felt more comfortable with the damper. I take it pretty easy in the corners with the rubber that's on this one, but on my old one I really liked the dampers effect on the bike cornering on the rough and very uneven county roads around here.

Did this last year. I like it especially when your accelerating over rough roads! I have 16 clicks and I use the middle one.

nice work! thanks for the info!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234