Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: DIY: Cheap steering damper

Banned
    Looks cool. I already have more than 1000 miles on my setup and damper still works great with no any slack zone.

Thats good to know. I'm keeping an eye on my cheap-o too.

I got a Ohlins adjustable damper for the SX and had it off the other day. Doesn't feel nearly as smooth as this one? It also has much less damping adjustment, I have to have it almost maxed out to get where I like it. What gives!!?! With this cheap one, I can't even turn the bars when its adjusted up!

Looks good! I have something similar but was mostly purchased, only did the modified bolt the rest cost less then 100 bucks, looks like you got a lot of labor in this making the mount on the tube

I like Cooter's El cheapo steering damper and, since this was brought up again, I've noticed when riding the Ully and I am in a curve, the handle bars seem a bit to easy to move, do you guys think this would be a good situation to have a damper ?

No wobbling around just seems pretty easily moved around.
    Last edited by njloco; 04-10-2019 at 01:02 PM.

Easy to move is great, uneasy feeling is not great. Should not be wobbling around (check tire pressure first).

I like the damper on the STT off-road, set lightly and I feel the wheel isn't knocked around on big rocks so much. For such a cheap-o mod it is one of my favorites

I've got the cheapo damper and clamp on the shelf waiting. Planning on getting it done when i do some gasket work and already have the isolator bolt out..

RockerBox? Ugh.

I have my damper set just tight enough that I can steer fast at parking lot speed and not fall over Since I added the set screw, I haven't had any issues with the fork clamp rotating

Ok I just found this thread so any long term reviews of this? I’m ordering it all and will be installing soon. Thanks for the write up.

Mines still on the STT and maybe another 12k miles since last year? Still flawless

I have settled on a setting for everyday, and I go just 3 clicks up if I know I'll be really hitting the corners. Don't forget to turn it back down though! Riding slower is still fine, but once you hit a parking lot or gas station and try a U-turn... (!!) be careful with it cranked up!

And seriously, don't forget about the set screw. It could be a big issue if you get lazy and don't do that part.

Hello, I can get hold of the recommended Damper from Amazon UK. Wondered if you sell the other parts as I don’t have the facilities to machine the brackets etc ?

Many Thanks
    Richard

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast