Well, I have an 03 blast with about 4k miles on it. Use it occasionally as a backup bike. Son started riding it this year and while it kept popping off the carb to the intake boot, so he carried tool with him to put it back on. Happens when it would backfire, BAM - off goes the carb.

Last night he was coming off an off-ramp from the highway, slowed down for a curve, down shifted, and BAM. didn't know what the noise was but didn't have any power as the bike was still running, slowing down and down shifted again. seems like its stuck in neutral until he looked down at the Primary case because of a noise. and sees this.

Primary.jpg

Stops and calls me to come get him. I have no idea what happened, but got it home and saw this:

Primary_Chain.jpg

Some how the primary chain broke, either something in the engine froze and caused the primary chain to break or the primary just broke. Either way I would imagine it would take a crap load of force to break the primary chain.

I haven't had time to take it apart and try to find out the root cause, but I'm kinda looking forward to it.

Curious if anyone has any experience or have heard of this happening along with the root cause.