Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trouble starting-Not turning over

Trouble starting-Not turning over

Hi again guys.

I have searched here for this an only found one post that sort of resembles my recent issue with no solution.

Basically, when starting the bike, I turn the key, the gauges sweep, I wait for the engine light to turn off and press the starter.

6/10 times it turns over and starts right up

the other times, I press the starter and nothing happens. NO clicking, no lights dimming, nothing.

If I hold the starter, it might turn over between a 4 - 10 second delay. If it does not turn after 10 or so seconds, then I cycle the key off/on again.

Any ideas what this could be?

I have the clutch switch bridged to eliminate that as a factor, there is no side stand switch(I think?)

The LCD on my heated grip controller reads 12.4-12.2 volts when the key is set to on.

This morning, I pulled it out of the garage and it started immediately and idled great for being 40F out. Went 3 miles down the road, shut it off to get gas. Tried starting again and it took about 2 minutes of pressing the starter and cycling the key.
    I will mention it also turned over for a second, quit halfway and the fuel pump cycled again.

Any ideas on this appreciated. It has never not started, but this morning was the longest it took and I fear of being stranded. Can you push start these bikes?

Thank you.

Pull your battery and have it tested.
    It's either that or the terminals on the battery are lose or need some cleaning.
    Also check the ground connections at the headstock area.
    Two things Buell's don't like; weak batteries and loose ground connections

Like Stripn says Batt, Tell us more about your bike, Sounds like its a Uly with H grips,
    what year ?
    miles?
    Mods?
    How old is the Batt ?
    Do you use a Batt tender?
    Last edited by Silverrider; 10-02-2017 at 02:49 PM.

Ah my mistake, I meant to add this info.

2005 Xb9sx
    12,000 miles
    Purchased this past june.
    Mods: Buell Race exhaust, KN filter, Lower bars, I think some sort of vent bypass. I flashed the race tune via buelltooth a month ago as well, also reset the TPS.
    I added the grips end of august. I cannot remember if it was like this before that though.

The grips are on a relay which uses the tail light running light for power.

Previous owner said battery was newer, but only rode it 2x this year. Unknown if he used a maintainer.

When I was having my electrical issues a few weeks ago I had charged the battery fully to eliminate that as a problem.

I just have never experienced this with my other bikes- absolutely nothing happening when I press the starter.

I do not use a tender as I ride this bike almost daily.

I will get the battery tested. I will also check the grounds near the front, I am not sure where they are but I have the service manual.

The heated grips are these:
    https://bikemaster.com/replacement-p...e-display.html

Here is video of it happening:
    https://youtu.be/7OElrf_ZDpM

https://youtu.be/ZyUU24jqjZ4

I have not taken the starter switch apart to see if it is something preventing contact.
    Last edited by mpaternoster; 10-02-2017 at 06:36 PM.

Very good update with info. thx
    I have one more question when you turn the key on and it does not click and turn over are you head lights and tail lights on ?
    Last edited by Silverrider; 11-17-2017 at 09:11 PM.

I would put money on corrosion in the right handlebar switch.
    Next time it does that, push and wiggle the yellow starter button.

You can remove that control and clean the switch inside it, there are good aerosol contact cleaners. Avoid dilectric grease.

One last thing, check the connections at the starter.
    I've seen one case where the positive connection at the starter was loose and that caused issues

Inactive
    bikemaster heated grips should be wired to the orange lead of the 4-wire head light socket. that specific wire is fused and is the positive headlight lead. you can also use the ground in that harness cluster or obtain a ground anywhere in the headlight bucket area. you can clean and spray and wire brush and tighten till your hearts' content but in all likelihood you'll be buying a new battery. and your right handlebar switchgear contains the starter button which sources its current supply from the headlight circuit. check its connection to the harness in the headlight bucket area.
    what you are describing is compression bump. very common with the XB series buells and gets worse and more frequent as the battery ages.
    of course you can bump start a buell. you'll need strong legs to paddle...a steep decline....and 3rd gear. throw the clutch away and it will fire if sufficient speed built up.
    Last edited by user_deleted; 10-02-2017 at 11:51 PM.

Just an update, as cooter has suggested I have wiggled the starter button slightly it starts every time, zero delay. Thanks all for the suggestions.

Roller chain spray has an anti corrosive in it, I use it on electrical contacts exposed to weathering all the time, just be aware, it will conduct electricity.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast