Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Xb9sx barely running, super rich, no ECM codes

Xb9sx barely running, super rich, no ECM codes

Bike will start but fouls the plugs in minutes. Back exhaust and the plugs come out covered in carbon.
    I've replaced
    Crank position sensor
    Fuel pump and filter

The strange thing is that it's not showing any error codes but runs so rich that the bike is not rideable.

Help!

I should add that it's an '09 so has DDFI3 and has 14,000 km.
    I've done the TPS reset procedure and it had no effect.

Faulty 02 sensor?

Since you left no info to go on, I have some questions...
    What led you to replace those parts?
    What else have you looked at?
    Done any mods recently?
    Has it been sitting?
    Ran great then one morning like this?
    Did you just buy it?
    So you start it cold, it idles, then quits? Or are you revving it up cold?

The O2 sensor doesn't function on start up or any time in open-loop, so that's not it.

Do you have any diagnostic tools (like ECMDroid)?

I've had the bike for a year and it's been great. A couple of weeks ago it ran out of gas. I put some gas in and rode it for maybe 20 minutes and then the problems started. Hesitating, loss of power, the bike got me within two blocks of home and then died. Bike wouldn't start and there was no fuel pump whine.

I tried the bike the next day, fuel pump made a sick sound, and no start. That sent me to replace the fuel pump.

I filled the tank with fresh fuel and it still didn't start, though the fuel pump sounded great. I pulled the plugs and they were wet with gas. That sent me to replace the crank sensor.

New plugs, new crank sensor, started right up but was running terrible pushing black smoke and the bike was not rideable. I pulled the plugs and they were dry (good spark) but covered with carbon.

Then I thought maybe the TPS but it's clear I have no idea and my ECM is giving no codes when I jump the wires. Just fast flash, fast flash, fast flash.

I don't have any mods and I don't have a ECM reader.

Hope that helps.

Oh, it will start cold, idle poorly, and rev poorly. All the while pushing black smoke.

A fuel pump couldn't make it run rich and a CPS would make it run bad (or not at all) and could foul a plug from misfiring enough, but not rich.

That's more info, thanks. But still not enough to diagnose correctly, so I'll guess.

Either too much gas:
    Injector stuck open? Pull them out of the intake and turn the key on with the fuel rail hooked up. See if one or both shoot a constant stream of gas.

Or not enough air:
    Pull off the air box and make sure nothings clogged and no critters built anything in there.
    Check the IAC also. It's best to use ECMDroid for that. It's free but you need a way to hook it up to the bike (a bluetooth dongle). Info at Buelltooth.com

You can also get a service manual there or Buellmods.com that will have the diagnostic flow chart you need. It's much easier, much faster, and much cheaper than guessing and throwing parts at it. Good luck!

Thanks Cooter, I'll check those things.

Say, I don't have to reset the ECM after changing the fuel pump do I? Like disconnect the battery and reboot it?
    I know the intake is clear but it's weird that both injectors would pack it in at the same time.

Cheers, and thanks for the suggestions. I'll look into getting a ECM reader.

Check AFV, probably went through the roof when out of gas.

Ok, I finally took the bike to a shop. They sat on it for 2 weeks and didn't do anything. I took delivery of my new Buelltooth dongle yesterday and rented a trailer (U-Haul $15) and got my bike back.
    I used the EcmDroid program and was a little intimidated by the large amount of information. Without starting the bike I checked the TPS and it wasn't changing voltage when I turned the throttle. So, I had a replacement and I put it in.
    Bike still ran super rich and crappy.
    Did some more reading and checked my AFV as gunter suggested. AFV front 100%, AFV rear 145%
    That was the problem but how to fix it...
    - ECM parameters
    - AFV settings
    - Changed it from 145 to 100
    - wrote the changes to EEPROM
    Voila!!!
    MY BIKE RUNS PERFECT AGAIN
    A big thanks to Cooter for suggesting I get the Buelltooth and to gunter for his comment about my AFV.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast