Thread: Last ride with my stepdad

Last ride with my stepdad

Took a last ride with my stepdad (Kevin) yesterday. He passed away last October. He and I used to ride together back in the 80s when I was a teenager on my first bike. He was cremated after he died and I've been helping my mom scatter his ashes at various locations he used to like to go. I kept a small amount of his ashes so he and I could take one last ride together. It was a beautiful fall day yesterday. Fired up the Buell and put Kevin's ashes in my backpack. Kevin never got to see it in action, but we talked about it and he was both a sportbike and a Harley guy...so he loved the Buell. Went on one of my go-to back roads, nice and twisty through some beautiful countryside. After a while we came to a small bridge over a local creek. The spot seemed like the right place. Took a walk out onto the bridge and said goodbye as I watched is ashes fall into the creek. He would have liked that. And, I'll think of him every time I ride that route.

James, very nice of you to do that. He would've liked that beautiful ride you took him on.

That tugged on the heart strings man! Maybe he will be sitting on the bridge watching you rip by next time!

Inactive
    tear-jerker james. i'll tell ya that. my belief is that he knows exactly what you did for him yesterday and is smiling down on you. his life certainly was enriched having a guy like you for his friend.

not gonna lie my eyes welled up a bit. Very nice thing for you to do! I'd like to think he will be watching out for you on every ride!

I hope someone will do that for me someday.

You did an honorable thing, not only is Kevin smiling but, so is God !

God bless him and you.

Thanks for listening and for your kind replies everyone. I took another ride on that route and stopped on that bridge. It was nice knowing that Kevin was there with me...and it really is a peaceful scene. We all experience loss in life, but that loss is just a reminder of the connection that we shared. That connection is it the important part...and it never dies.

That's really nice! My riding buddy was my father in law and he died two weeks ago in a motorcycle wreck. I can somewhat relate. He also always told us he wanted to be scattered along his favorite routes.

Sean...I thought about you and your father in law after I scattered my stepdad's ashes. If and when you're ready...it is a great way to reconnect with those memories and to honor your father in law in an activity that you both loved and shared together. My best to you and your family during this difficult transition.