Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 06 Uly cuts out/backfires after 7about miles

06 Uly cuts out/backfires after 7about miles

Just picked up an 06 Uly with 50K, it starts up and runs at idle perfect and for the first 7 miles it runs great. After about 7miles it begins to start cutting out(no specific pattern or rpm) and just gets worst, it also will begin to backfire through the exhaust. It gets very bad where I am just barely able to limp it home, the check engine light does not come on. I changed the spark plugs and wires which did nothing. It has an aftermarket ECM, I attempted to wiggle the ecm wires at idle to try to duplicate the issue but it has no effect. I have checked the ground wire to the frame and it appears to have a good connection. I have no mapping software and am new to the bike itself. Any common issues that could cause this? As far as other mods the Bike has a drummer exhaust from what I was told. Also any trustworthy Buell mechanics in the area of Eastern NY just north of NYC?

Banned
    Throttle body seals leak.

Quote Originally Posted by TPEHAK View Post
    Throttle body seals leak.

Why would it start 7miles in every ride and not immediately?

Maybe not hot enough immediately, try just warming it up real good then see how far you get.

Inactive
    for what it's worth curious why you are using the website address as your board member name? paul might have something to say about that regarding changing it.

ok then...it is NOT intake seals. most likely also not a fuel delivery problem. if after-fire out the muffler and/or back-fire up into the airbox assembly it's always ignition problem of some sort.
    you have an 11 year old bike with high accrued mileage as far as buells go and i'd venture to say it's either your aftermarket ecm failing....tps assembly in need of a reset and check....or cps unit failing. before you just randomly start blindly throwing parts at it do the below AND click on the link for instructions on how to access and read stored fault codes as i guarantee you have 1 or more stored.....that is assuming this ecm you speak of allows it.
    1-carefully check all your visible wiring including the steering neck area....EVERYTHING behind the plastic front pulley cover...and every single ground you can locate on the bike. they include steering neck area...dog-bone under airbox base plate...small cluster at battery box area...negative cable to frame screw.
    2-you have 3 relays. key switch....ignition....start. they are 20 amp and cross over to chrysler and ford a/c relay. $6 at any auto parts joint or online. take yours along to visually compare. start by replacing key switch relay and ride.....then ignition relay and ride. one or both of them might be causing intermittent electrical interruption.
    3-lastly a long-shot: remove both battery cables from terminals...clean terminals and cable ends well...replace and tighten securely. one or both loose will cause your issues BUT typically if they do they activate the CEL. report back with results as it immensely helps other board members.

http://www.badweatherbikers.com/buel...77/146574.html

Haha, honestly the username was just something I would remember and I was surprised it wasn't taken, I'll gladly change it if it offends anyone, anyways thank you for the response. I will run the diagnostic on it and see if there are any codes stored and report back once I have done so. That link is extremely helpful as I thought I would diagnostic software to check codes. The weather is crappy here right now but when it clears up I'll try changing out the relays first and see what happens depending on the fault code status.

Quote Originally Posted by buellxb.com View Post
    Haha, honestly the username was just something I would remember and I was surprised it wasn't taken, I'll gladly change it if it offends anyone, anyways thank you for the response. I will run the diagnostic on it and see if there are any codes stored and report back once I have done so. That link is extremely helpful as I thought I would diagnostic software to check codes. The weather is crappy here right now but when it clears up I'll try changing out the relays first and see what happens depending on the fault code status.

No stored codes, the light flashes rapidly for about 11-12 times then a short rest then flashes again same over and over. I ordered a coil to try that, but I will check on the relays and see if I can pick some up.

Also to perform a tips reset on an 06 uly I will need software correct? I read on ecmspy that their demo software allows for tps reset, has anyone used the latest demo software to successfully do this and how technical is it?

Check your battery. I have an 09 Uly that acts this way before the battery dies. I have replaced at least 3 batteries in the last 6 years I owned it, had a 2 year warranty so I have only purchased 2 batteries have about 8 months left on the current battery.

Discovered the problem, I called Ultimate Cycles in Newburgh NY(Recommended by local Harley dealer) and spoke with the owner who immediately diagnosed it over the phone as the ignition module which sits in the timing plate on the right side of the motor behind the riveted timing cover. I dropped it off to them and they changed out that piece, rode it last night for about 10 miles with no issues. Real good guy over there at Ultimate Cycles, very honest and reasonable. He said there isn't really anyway of testing it but they do commonly fail and will produce this issues when failing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast