Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: XB 12 2005 Is afflicted too of oil pump gear failure?

Red face XB 12 2005 Is afflicted too of oil pump gear failure?

Hi guys ,

I'm considering to buy a XB 12 2005,with low miles (2.500) one owner bike.

This year have the "famous" problem oil pump gear?.
    If yes it's a good think to replace when I buy or I can wait another 5.000 miles?

Any touhgt?

Best regards from south Italy!

Inactive
    click the link below for everything you need to know regarding the oil pump drive gear. contrary to internet fodder the failure rate for this gear is actually fairly low...perhaps 2% of all tuber/blast/XB models....something in that vicinity.
    is it a faulty design? is it inadequate gear strength and material? is it an ill-designed lubrication system?
    NO to all of the above. more than anything else it is operator error.
    the TWO MAJOR causes of this gear failing are hammering the throttle and/or high revs prior to the oil in the system reaching proper operating temp......and improper oil viscosity. nothing more/nothing less.

https://www.twinmotorcycles.nl/artik...cid=18&aid=620

Banned
    It was enough reason to replace the old oil pump by new reliable and maintenance free gerotor oil pump on later models which is forgivable for such usage. My thought is wait and buy later 2008-2010 model.

@lunaticfringe:thank you for the link ! very usefull !!!

@tpehak:you're right I'm not in hurry but if I find the find one and is in a good condition I can consider.
    I live in Sicily and over there there aren't many Buell and if you find one you will pay more attention on the engine condition,nobody consider the maintenace time/miles and the proper spare like oil ,filter especially foer the american engine !
    Ok I'm a strange guy ! I live in the wrong place to find easily american car or bike.
    But if you consider my nick and you are a car lover something of american "art" on my garage there is !

Thanks again for the advice.

My 3 cents , I would buy it ,sounds like a good buy with low miles, Being that you dont have many to choose from, Look at all the buells with high miles out there, it must work, not to say newer ones aren't better. just throwing that out there.

I agree with Silver, for a bike with only 2500 miles and one owner. The gear is still available, I would buy the bike and the gear. Wait for a rainy day and a good friend or mechanic to install or help you install it, or check it and not install it if it stays good?

Quote Originally Posted by chevy350 View Post
    I'm considering to buy a XB 12 2005,with low miles (2.500) one owner bike.

This year have the "famous" problem oil pump gear?.
    If yes it's a good think to replace when I buy or I can wait another 5.000 miles?
    For Europe the answer is yes, oil pump gears typically fail around 16.000 - 35.000 km (or never). Contact luckyhands.de because he manufactures fail-proof/undestroyable oil pump gears. No idea, who's distributing them in Italy, probably american-bikes.it might know because they maintained Buells too, but they are located in Caldaro/Alto Adige, far up north.

Chevy350 , post a pic of the bike. Then it will be a No brainier, after we see it. Over here we dont see any 05s with 2500 miles on them.
    Last edited by Silverrider; 10-11-2017 at 07:38 PM.

E per l'altro - ben venuto! Se trovassi un 2005 con solo 2,500 miglie (e che funziona, ovviomente), secondo molti qui vale la pena. Ci sono anche delle persone sul questo sito che posso dirti si o no se per caso avessi qualche foto.
    Last edited by vicenzajay; 10-12-2017 at 03:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by vicenzajay View Post
    E per l'altro - ben venuto! Se trovassi un 2005 con solo 2,500 miglie (e che funziona, ovviomente), secondo molti qui vale la pena. Ci sono anche delle persone sul questo sito che posso dirti si o no se per caso avessi qualche foto.
    Translated to English

And for the other - well come! If I found a 2005 with just 2,500 (and that works, obviously), according to many here it's worth it. There are also people on this site that I can tell you whether or not to have some photos.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast