Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Future of buells and possible problems...

Quote Originally Posted by lunaticfringe View Post
    Jack-O-Lantern
    2006 Buell XBRS LightningBolt
    http://www.buellxb.com/forum/album.php?albumid=129

So, now, John is also an Anomaly, I guess if one lives long enough they cover everything they can be called and, this is a move up for him ! I kind of like the sound of it, Anomalyfringe.

All kidding aside, Cooter covered it very well, buy it, ride it like you stole it, rebuild, repeat !

Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooter View Post
    I'm sorry if my response seemed mean. It wasn't meant that way. We get these threads all the time, I think it's a silly thought to have about a fun toy. No one should buy any motorcycle as an investment.

First. You won't own this new-to-you Buell in 20 years. Right now, you think you will. But you won't. You're the anomaly if you own one bike for that long. I'm sure someone will pipe up and say they did, but it's rare. Did you own anything for that long? Were parts an issue? It's almost 8 years since the last Buell left the factory and you can still find tons for sale for cheap! with 4000 miles or less.

Second. There were plenty made... so used parts. Not Honda plenty... but plenty.

Third. None of the consumables are Buell proprietary parts. Oil? Air filter? Tires? Bearings? Put 90K miles on it and relax.

Fourth. The list of Buell proprietary parts is actually very small. Frame, swing arm, wheels, plastics, things like that. "Electronics"?? Not on a Buell. They are universal switches, relays, wires and a rudimentary ECM that has proven to be solid state dependable.

Fifth. Think worst case scenario, whatever you like... off a cliff, engine seized up, whatever. Your insurance will pay, or not. Buy another one and sell off the old parts.

No matter what, you have to remember that its a motorcycle. It's not a family car, not an 'investment', and it's not the Mona Lisa. It's a passionate decision for a fun toy. Buy it! Use it! and let the smiles you have in your helmet decide if you made the right choice.
    one of your finest efforts shaughn and absolutely correct on all fronts.
    it is NOT possible restless. everything excepting a few bits of transluscent body work will always be available. how do i know?
    this winter i'm restoring my 64 year old Vincent Black Shadow. almost every part still available either new or thru various aftermarket sources. it will be NO different with buells decades from now.

1953 Vincent Black Shadow 3b x.jpg
    Last edited by user_deleted; 10-15-2017 at 01:46 PM.

You've got a Vincent Black Shadow?! Wow! Super cool
    It's rare I ever say thins but thats a bike that gets restored and ridden in nice weather only. Badass

Quote Originally Posted by Cooter View Post
    You've got a Vincent Black Shadow?! Wow! Super cool
    It's rare I ever say thins but thats a bike that gets restored and ridden in nice weather only. Badass
    That dude has EVERYTHING, he even has a NEVER used Chrysler Sno runner!!!!!

Inactive
    thanks shaughn. you have a ton of general motorcycle knowledge so know what a vincent shadow, rapide or lightning is worth. will be the most expensive resto i've ever done but the value when finished is....well....anyone's guess.
    wally: the sno-runner won't start. i put it back on display. LOL

I also know that The Barber Museum has one.

One.....

Sno runners are cool! Never seen one of those!

John, you've got your work cutout for you but, in the end it will be worth every penny.

Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by njloco View Post
    John, you've got your work cutout for you but, in the end it will be worth every penny.
    that's putting it mildly kenny but the old bastard still runs pretty good. a few typical british leaks but motor/trans in good shape considering it's the same age i am. it's the whitworth fasteners and other assorted nonsense that is incredibly challenging. going to have an east coast Vincent motor expert rebuild the lump for me. don't trust myself opening it up plus no local machine shop interested in doing the cylinders and heads.

Whitworth fasteners and Lucas electronics are the spawn of the devil.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast