Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Spark Plug cleaning feature on 08 XB12XT

Spark Plug cleaning feature on 08 XB12XT

Hello, I am new to this forum and a new owner of a 2008 Ulysses XT. I love this bike but I am experiencing something that the previous owner never has. Every so often when I turn the key on, without cranking the engine, I hear a “pop or poof” sound then smoke rises from the vent over the gas tank. The smoke smells like exhaust gasses. I read about the plug clear feature but I am not twisting the throttle to activate this feature. Could it be doing it automatically? Any insight is appreciated and I apologize if I posted this incorrectly. I have videos of this I will try to post. Thank you.
    Last edited by Dysan; 10-19-2017 at 01:18 PM.

Inactive
    here is what's happening and the probable solution and NO....the "auto spark plug/combustion chamber clearing" process is not being initiated on its own. impossible! the event you described was a partial combustion process with the fumes from combustion blowing out the intake valve and up thru the TB eventually into atmosphere...hence the aroma and sound.
    1-auto clearing feature can only be achieved by holding throttle wide open....placing red run switch to on position...and then turning on the key. if you are NOT doing this the auto feature will NOT activate
    2-occasionally when you shut off the motor the intake valve in one and only one cylinder remains partially open. a random occurrence. unspent fuel droplets then form a combustible vapor in that cylinder and remain there for a period of time. that amount of time dependent on tons of variables.
    3-you now proceed to start the bike with the above random conditions in place and hear a "pop or poof" as you described it coming from the airbox area in conjunction with combustion aroma....perhaps even a wisp of smoke.
    4-how did this happen? simply put your coil fired. it is a "dual-fire" design. why did this happen? it found a ground source and activated itself firing both plugs and causing this event.
    the solution? start checking all your grounds. i've listed the 2008 ulysses grounds on here 25X or more. YOU HAVE AN INADEQUATE AND/OR BAD GROUND. simple as that.
    Last edited by user_deleted; 10-19-2017 at 01:46 PM.

Wow, what a great reply and so fast. Thank you very much for your help I will check the grounds try to find where you posted the grounds. I’m doing this from my phone I have to switch to a computer to find it.

Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by Dysan View Post
    Wow, what a great reply and so fast. Thank you very much for your help I will check the grounds try to find where you posted the grounds. I’m doing this from my phone I have to switch to a computer to find it.
    my pleasure. your 2008 XB-XT has factory grounds as follows:
    steering neck/triple clamp pinch bolt area. check there closely and you'll find the ground wires loom
    large main ground wire which is a bare braided wire atop the dog-bone beneath rear of airbox base plate
    small multiple ground wires all black in color in vicinity of ecm/battery box area
    the negative battery cable to battery terminal
    """""""""""""""""""""""""""""" to frame attachment point.
    a cursory visual check worthless. locate all the grounds....remove all the fasteners...carefully clean all terminal ends and check for integrity....reattach and tighten.

Wow I got learned today. Never even heard of that function before. Thanks Lunatic!

Quote Originally Posted by lunaticfringe View Post
    here is what's happening and the probable solution and NO....the "auto spark plug/combustion chamber clearing" process is not being initiated on its own. impossible! the event you described was a partial combustion process with the fumes from combustion blowing out the intake valve and up thru the TB eventually into atmosphere...hence the aroma and sound.
    1-auto clearing feature can only be achieved by holding throttle wide open....placing red run switch to on position...and then turning on the key. if you are NOT doing this the auto feature will NOT activate
    2-occasionally when you shut off the motor the intake valve in one and only one cylinder remains partially open. a random occurrence. unspent fuel droplets then form a combustible vapor in that cylinder and remain there for a period of time. that amount of time dependent on tons of variables.
    3-you now proceed to start the bike with the above random conditions in place and hear a "pop or poof" as you described it coming from the airbox area in conjunction with combustion aroma....perhaps even a wisp of smoke.
    4-how did this happen? simply put your coil fired. it is a "dual-fire" design. why did this happen? it found a ground source and activated itself firing both plugs and causing this event.
    the solution? start checking all your grounds. i've listed the 2008 ulysses grounds on here 25X or more. YOU HAVE AN INADEQUATE AND/OR BAD GROUND. simple as that.

Lunaticfringe, On what year Buells does this "auto spark plug/combustion chamber clearing" process work on ? Kool info thx.

Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by Silverrider View Post

Lunaticfringe, On what year Buells does this "auto spark plug/combustion chamber clearing" process work on ? Kool info thx.
    from the 2008-2010 XB/1125 TSB dealer notice issued way back when. i don't think it's an available function of the 2007 and earlier XB ecm units. the process does activate the CEL and put it in "blink" mode but stops once process completed. and it actually does work!

as follows: SPARK PLUG CLEANING PROCEDURE

2008 XB and 1125R Buell motorcycles provide a feature to help clear residual fuel from the combustion chamber if a flooded engine or fouled spark plugs are suspected. This is achieved by opening the throttle to wide open, setting the Run/Stop switch to Run, then turning the ignition switch ON. This will fire the spark plugs for approximately 4 seconds, burning any fuel left over in the combustion chamber. It may be necessary to repeat this procedure several times to allow a severely flooded engine to start.

NOTE: Motorcycle should be in Neutral.
    Last edited by user_deleted; 10-19-2017 at 07:50 PM.

Thx you , Buell Whisper.

Hi, you provided me great info before. Now I have a new problem. My horn is not working nor are the 2 12v Power plugs. The fuses are good and the horn works when hooked to a battery. Any advice?
    Thanks again.

Hi, now my horn and power plugs aren’t working. Fuses are good. Any ideas?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast