Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Spark Plug cleaning feature on 08 XB12XT

Did you check them for continuity? If they're not hot, check appropriate fuses, if they're good, start tracing the wires for possible breaks.

Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by Dysan View Post
    Hi, now my horn and power plugs aren’t working. Fuses are good. Any ideas?

simple trouble-shoot and fix. if you don't have one buy yourself one as per pic. a few bucks buys quality and a lifetime of assistance. on your ulysses simply remove the windscreen to access the horn and wiring in the headlight bucket area.
    the bucket bracket is a large ground source as is any black wire observed in that area.....black wire in 4-wire headlight wiring harness also ground source. then do this:
    1-go to headlight wiring harness and disconnect. you'll be probing the ORANGE wire in the harness on the main harness side.....NOT the headlight assembly side. with key on and test light grounded probe the orange wire on the harness plug end....NOT the headlight assembly harness plug end. test light should light. if not it is not grounded properly. after establishing that test light is now working plug the harness back together and move on to next step.
    2-turn key on....red-run switch to on just to be sure....make sure the wiring plug is connected to horn....press horn button....and probe horn terminal with test light. test light does NOT illuminate? try the other horn terminal. test light NOW illuminuates? bad ground for horn circuit.
    3-do precisely the same procedure for your uly dash mounted power outlet. CAUTION HOWEVER: when doing the test you will be probing the center connector terminal inside of the outlet. that is the positive source of the outlet. do NOT touch the sides of the outlet with the test light probe while performing this test or you'll pop the circuit fuse.
    4-you'll find that it was not coincidental that both your horn and power outlet ceased operating at the same time. they both source their ground from the steering neck area ground loom. your problem lies there.
    6V-12V-DC-Red-Clip-Electroprobe-Circuit-Tester-Systems-Test-Light-Car-Voltage.jpg_640x640.jpg
    Last edited by user_deleted; 11-19-2017 at 01:04 PM.

John has always had the best write ups on this site. I had always wished 07 and under had that option for cleaning plugs. Nice write up John as always.

Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by rchuff View Post
    John has always had the best write ups on this site. I had always wished 07 and under had that option for cleaning plugs. Nice write up John as always.
    thanks much ricky for the kind words.
    Last edited by user_deleted; 09-12-2018 at 02:32 PM.

I give that ^^^^ a big he'll yeah. 👍🇺🇸
    ' Merica. Let's make some stuff.

Lunatic is just channeling his inner teabag....

Lunaticfringe, you were exactly right. Thank you so much for your extremely helpful and detailed responses. I found a broken ground wire in the horn area that fixed the horn and outlets. Do you think this broken ground wire could be the problem I was experiencing with the “poof” and combustion from the coil firing? I really appreciate you assistance. 👍

Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by vicenzajay View Post
    Lunatic is just channeling his inner teabag....

LOL jay! and for what it's worth if you could capitalize "TEABAG" in the future it's even more of an attention-getter.

Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by Dysan View Post
    Lunaticfringe, you were exactly right. Thank you so much for your extremely helpful and detailed responses. I found a broken ground wire in the horn area that fixed the horn and outlets. Do you think this broken ground wire could be the problem I was experiencing with the “poof” and combustion from the coil firing? I really appreciate you assistance. ��
    you're quite welcome and thanks much for the kind words. always appreciated. keep this in mind about electrons....buells...and your bike in general. vehicle current ALWAYS flows from ground source to the positive battery terminal. always! think of it in terms of a lightning strike from a tall object such as a tree....tall building....tv transmission tower. they are all "grounded". a lightning strike flows from that object up to the positively charged atmosphere.....from ground to positive. simplest way i can explain it. XB model buells are very smooth runners at speed but shake and vibrate like hell at idle and just off idle which is tough on batteries, fasteners, and ground sources. your coil is activated by the bikes' ecm which sends the coil a "ground" signal to make it fire both plugs simultaneously. an ecm with a "confused" ground does weird things. i don't know if faulty front end grounds in the headlight bucket area and steering neck would have caused your "poof and pop" problem but anything's possible. many but not all XB's also have a small multi-wire ground cluster near the battery box/ecm area. it's a cluster of a few black wires going to frame ground. if you find that little cluster on your bike address it with my prior instructions.

Hi Lunaticfringe, is Rotella T6 a good oil to use in my Uly?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast