Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Odd double shift intermittent issue

Odd double shift intermittent issue

I have a 2008 Ulysses with 20,000 miles on the clock with an intermittent problem when up shifting. The motorcycle goes into the higher gear on the first kick of my foot but the shifter doesn't click into gear. I have too do a dry shift and literally cock the shifter for the next gear change. I hope that makes sense.

I have ordered a primary gasket and plan on;
    - inspect the shifter mechanism for problems
    - check the springs on the shifter paws
    - primary case oil
    - adjust clutch and primary chain

Any ideas or experiences anyone wants to share?

Have to ask, did you try adjusting the clutch and lever cable play ?

Yes, clutch and leaver play was adjusted. It like the toe leaver is too high,

Have you inspected the shift lever and the parts coming off the shift shaft to insure its good and tight? Sounds like something in the shift mechanism might be loose.
    Inspect all the exterior parts to make sure nothing is loose or missing hardware.

Is it like the shifter lever won't return to center? Check with your hand that it moves smoothly and with little effort on the pivot bolt with the linkage disconnected. It could also be a bent shift shaft making it stick.

My 08 Firebolt went back for warranty service shortly after I got it. ( Less then 2000 Km) Exact same problem, I was told there is a bushing in the cases that the shift shaft seats into (behind the clutch) that was faulty. Was replaced and 50,000 Km later its never happened again. Hope this helps.

Good luck, Wayne.

I'm going to pull the primary cover, stator and clutch and inspect all of the internal and external parts of the shifter linkage. Stay Tuned

i have pulled the primary cover, clutch and sator. The internal shifter linkage has a lot of play IMHO. I suspect the brass bushing in the inner primary case housing is shot. I pulled the brass bushing/sleeve with my blind hole bearing puller - YIPPIE!!! Second time I have used this tool, first time was the wheel bearings. The shifter shaft is slopping in that bushing. The rest of the internal linkage looks good, all springs are present and don't show any sign of fatigue. I will also replace the eyelets on the external shifter linkage, one is clearly bent. Probably from a heavy foot upshifthing. That too might be causing me issues. Stay Tuned.

Sounds like you might be on the right track!

I think there is also a bearing/bushing in the cover itself.
    I'm sure once you replace all the bushings/bearing related to the shift shaft your shifting/shifter will work as it should.

Keep up the good work.

Just wanted to give everyone an update. I have disassembled the primary case and performed the following actions;
    - Inspected all internal and external shifter linkage, looked good.
    - Replaced brass busing in primary, that the shift linkage seats into. It was a little sloppy
    - Replaced bushing and oil seal for shift linkage on primary cover.
    - Replaced primary cover gasket
    - filled primary with 1 litre of HD Formula+ fluid

Unfortunately its BRUTAL COLD and I need to do some additonal work on the bike so I wont know until next season if the problem is licked. Out of everything I have read, I suspect the fact that I reused the primary gasket cover six months ago and that the primary case shift rod bushings were sloppy are the cause of my issues. I am optimistic. By recycling the primary cover gasket, I would have compressed the gasket a couple of microns, possibly adding a small bind to the shifter linkage.

Thanks for all your input, I'll keep you informed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast