Thread: 2008 XB12R not starting

2008 XB12R not starting

I have a 2008 Firebolt XB12R that is giving me some issues. It has 31000 miles and I have owned it since new. The last year I haven't ridden it at all because it has had a charging issue that I haven't had time to fix. I thought it was the stator, and after finding one to replace it with and tearing it apart to do so, my stator looked and tested fine so I didn't replace it. I then came to the conclusion that my rectifier was bad and purchased a used one off Ebay to replace it with. Last night when I was finished, I checked the voltage while running and it was a steady 14 while holding the idle at 2500 rpm. I went for about a half hour ride and after the bike cooled down I checked the voltage at the battery and it was at 13 ( it was 12.3 before riding) from this I concluded all was good and the problem was fixed. I rode in to work about 20 miles with no issue and then from work to church about 2 miles. When I went to start the bike after church, I noticed my check engine light hadn't gone out after the fuel pump had primed, but I started the bike anyway before I could catch myself. I let it idle for a bit hoping the light would go out, and it didn't. I decided to take my chances and ride home any way. The bike performed as usual but toward the end of my trip my headlights turned off for a second and then back on. This happened one more time about 50 yards from my home. The engine light never went out and it was still running perfectly. After shut down I let the bike sit until the fans went off. When I turned the key it cycles like normal, all normal lights come on and then the Engine light goes off like normal. I flick the starter, and nothing happens. no clicks, nothing... except the engine light comes back on. I try this several times, and even if I don't try to start it the Engine light will come back on. I checked all fuses (good) and swapped all of the relays. Nothing changed. Any ideas???

Check continuity in the 'Run" switch.

Inactive
    you've accrued a fair amount of miles and your XB is coming up on its silver anniversary. given those parameters and the assumption the bike is mostly stock and has not been torn apart and reassembled(many on here fail to mention that fact) do the simple things first. keep in mind that bad grounds...a weak/failing battery....corrosion in and around the fusebox area causes precisely the ailments you described. do the below and also click on the provided link. in all likelihood you have stored fault codes and one of them will assuredly be #16.
    as follows:
    1-remove battery...fully charge with a quality charger....NOT a tender. 6 amps for 20 minutes or so should accomplish that. then have it load tested. any auto parts joint will do it for free.
    2-if you're running an online POS chinese battery it is THE problem. replace with a quality unit. deka/big crank battery of choice.
    3-while the battery is removed carefully clean battery cable ends...negative cable frame end....and check positive cable starter end. if loose it cause all sorts of problems.
    4-find all your ground wires...remove each....carefully clean cable end AND mounting surface...reattach.
    5-replace battery fuse even if it looks ok.
    you have either a faulty battery or charging system problem. both very easy to diagnose and repair. perform the above...click link below and do as instructed...report back with results and further assistance if needed.

http://www.badweatherbikers.com/buel...77/146574.html

I second lunatics advice.
    Your issue definitely sounds like it's either a ground or battery problem.

I'll check the battery and connections when I get home, but its a brand new YUASA battery. The bike has never been torn apart. The only mods are a breather reroute, intake, exhaust, HID lights and LED signals and brake. Removal of the primary cover, and not replacing the stator, has been the most I've been into the engine.
    I doubt its the RUN switch either, I wiggled and rocked it a bit to see if there was an continuity issue but it was solid. I did notice that if I held the START button while turning the key to the on position I would get a very short sound from the starter as if it were going to work, but then it would instantly have no power at all. It's as if the bike is putting itself into some kind of protection mode, keeping it from starting.
    I'll also see if I can pull any codes from it tonight as well.

Also; check wiring at key/ignition
    Check connection at the starter

Good luck