Thread: Maintenance while frame is off

Maintenance while frame is off

Hey guys, I tried to search for this but I didn't know how to word it, forgive me if it's been covered a million times. I have the frame and swingarm off to paint them, and I figure now is a good time to do maintenance stuff that wood normally be hard to do. I already have the fuel pump out, I'm going to replace the filter and hopefully the sock if I can find one. I plan on sending the injectors out to be cleaned professionally. My only other plans are doing the intake seals and cleaning the intake and throttle body. Is there anything else I should be doing while everything is easy to get to? Any help would be appreciated

Inactive
    google buellxb fuel pump sock. lots of them on the cheap via evilbay. once the pump is removed and considering it's age i'd replace the rubber fuel line...check that both ground wires are tightly attached to their mounting points...that no wires are chafing themselves against the support bracket(a common malady)....and replace the fuel sensor unit. it is part # P0789.KA which lists for $14.00 and readily available. these fuel pump units are robust and fairly bomb-proof but do need attention as they age. the above steps will freshen it up nicely. see pic attached.

one other suggestion depending on mileage is replacing the F&R wheel bearings....easy task and inexpensive...and check your belt idler tensioner bearings. again easy and cheap if needing replacing.

5820_20100612231622_L.jpg

Thank you for the suggestions, I will do those. The bike has 30,000 something miles on it so I had considered wheel bearings

Wheel bearings, swingarm bearings, front and rear isolators and the tie bars. All of them are wear items, everything is still available.

Thanks for the suggestions, I appreciate the input. What about the steering head bearings, are they likely to need replacing? Honestly the bike feels great when riding I've never noticed any excess vibration or bearing noise, but it's cheap insurance I guess. I've found a couple issues I was unaware of so far, the throttle pull cable is frayed badly and looks as though it would snap if I were to twist the throttle aggressively, and one of the spark plug wires has a small burnt spot on it, so there are some new items to add to the list.

Yes, steering head bearings are cheap. Try upgraded tapered style from All Balls, set them right and you'l probably never need to re-visit them.