Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Wild ideas come to mind!!

Wild ideas come to mind!!

Thought the forum could use another "WHAT IF" thread to lift our spirits!! A friend of mine is planning a cycle trip from here in Nebraska to the North coat of alaska for the summer of 2019. So, he and I have been discussing the best bike for the job. Obviously he's wanting to do it on a touring dual sport. KTM, triumph, BMW, Ducati have all crossed his radar. I suggested (because im weird) that he buy a low miles ulysses and have at! Guy's a Harley guy and loves my Uly but was unconvinced, as he'd rather have a NEW bike. So i got to thinking! Since EBR never built a 1190 "AX" could it be done? how hard could be right? Would it be best to source Ulysses parts to basically lift kit a 1190sx or one off custom suspension and wheels? Custom tail section? retro fit more Ulysses parts or rob from other top notch dual sports? If i had the money I'd build one! A lightly used 1190 can be had for around 7k pretty easily and Ulysses's go as low as 3k nowadays. So all said and done one should land way short of 1290 KTM Adventure's 17k ish price tag, right? Thoughts? Comments? Renderings?

I know its easier to just buy a new bike or ride a ULY but WHAT IF!?!?!?

Oh I like that bike, and what a fantastic trip! Thats a combo of a whole bunch of choices of roads and accomodations. Will he be camping, hoteling, or a combo of both?

The windscreen, panniers, and guards could be done easily. The slightly harder stuff would be footpegs, seat angle, and suspension.

EBR was messing with rear air suspension, but thats a bit much for a one-off. The spring rate would be fine for one person and a reasonable amount of stuff, backing off the settings might make it soft enough to be livable with the weight on it, and you could get some height with a simple bracket. The front would be a little harder but also could hold surprises. Maybe all it needs is longer fork tubes? Maybe Uly forks fit? Maybe Uly triples and forks fit? The way Buell/EBR builds bikes I bet they do!

Honestly you could do that trip on a Grom if you had the taint for it, what kind of guy is you buddy? Is he used to dealer service with free coffee and popcorn? Or is he ok to touch a wrench without whining? If he's gonna build a bike for this trip he better put some miles on it first!

Inactive
    2012 and later V-Strom 1000 adventure. priced right...one of THE great motors of all-time...runs on 87 octane fuel...incredibly comfortable ergonomics....smoothest shifting trans in motorcycling history....low to mid 50's mpg....well designed rugged factory luggage...oem suspension very tune-able and compliant. with a set of modified factory cans or aftermarket jobs and dealer updated/reflashed ecm the 1000 V-strom matches the performance of any other dual sport twin on the market.

Quote Originally Posted by lunaticfringe View Post
    2012 and later V-Strom 1000 adventure. priced right...one of THE great motors of all-time...runs on 87 octane fuel...incredibly comfortable ergonomics....smoothest shifting trans in motorcycling history....low to mid 50's mpg....well designed rugged factory luggage...oem suspension very tune-able and compliant. with a set of modified factory cans or aftermarket jobs and dealer updated/reflashed ecm the 1000 V-strom matches the performance of any other dual sport twin on the market.
    I can vouch for the suzooks vtwin platform. It cannot be destroyed, it is absolutely bulletproof! I own one that is nearly 20 yrs old and I beat the living daylights out of it and it just keeps taking it. Hands down one of the toughest motors I've ever seen.

I would do it in a heart beat on my Ully, of course I would change the tires someplace along the way and do a bunch of stuff prior to leaving the east coast. My Triumph explorer would do it easily but who needs all that HP and weight !

The whole seat would have to be changed to accommodate 2 up comfortably....

what kind of guy is you buddy?
    He runs a tow company and he personally drives a huge truck, does 18 wheeler recovery and towing. Ironic that a body guy is friends with a tow truck driver right! He's a harley rider that doesnt mind spending money, currently on a 2017 Road Glide Ultra with a Stage4 114ci. kit that will run close to my uly in the straights. Started on dirt bikes though so he's not a complete wuss
    Will he be camping, hoteling, or a combo of both?
    hoteling so basically hauling cloths and some tools, also planning on stopping somewhere up north to convert to more aggressive tires

hadn't thought much about japanese stuff honestly and neither had he. I just assumed they're weren't going to offer quite the snappy torque and performance as a KTM 1290 or 1200 bmw, but i will suggest it. At least for reliability!

The whole seat would have to be changed to accommodate 2 up comfortably....
    I know the Uly seat is great for 2up, something along those lines would be needed for sure.

My buddy actually asked me along for this trip and i suggested doing it 2up (to keep my wife happy). But I can't drop that kind of money on a trip without taking my wife and kids in good conscience. So i figure i can help him plan and live vicariously!

So anyone going to tackle building an AX? lol Its completely unrealistic for me and my friend to build one for his trip obviously, but i think the bike is doable.

What do we need to measure to see if ulysses parts will work? Cooter and silverider both have sx's and Ive got a Ulysses. Maybe we could "virtually build one? or at least see if its possible

Inactive
    cody: seriously take a look at the v-strom. bought my 2012 adventure 1000 may of 2016 and loved it so much bought another 650 vstrom adventur for day tripping. i'm 64....have owned at least 500 assorted bikes starting age 10. can't think of a style or brand i've never owned with exception of pizza bikes which i loathe. had always thought my bmw r1200rt was the finest all around bike i ever owned till the 2012 vstrom 1000 adventure purchase came along. IMHO no other production bike does so many things so incredibly well and so ridiculously easy. it IS that good.

I haven't ridden the V-strom, but a serious biker friend of mine who I respect loves his to death! Normally he leads a pack of guys up Hwy 2 on his R-1 and logs 20K a year. He is sold on the little 650! He says the same thing Lunatic does. It just does everything so well.

I with you Buelly, We could virtually build it: Lets see if the steering neck bearings are the same part number. That would mean the odds of the whole triple and forks from a Uly would probably bolt on, taking care of the travel up front, Shock measurements on the rear could help too. I have a brand new shock for the STT at home (SS/ Uly length) so i could compare those 2 and I figure the weight is close enough.

Next.... Seat(s?) bags?

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast