Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bike level for primary oil change

Bike level for primary oil change

Hi all,
    I did some searching and couldn't find a definitive answer about this. I'm changing the transmission oil on my XB12Ss and the shop manual calls for the bike to be upright and level (all in capital letters, so I assume that means it is important ). Do most folks use just a rear stand, rear and front stands combined, or some other method for leveling the bike? It seems like just the rear stand is probably close enough, but I don't know how sensitive the oil level measurement is to this.
    Thanks!
    James

Banned
    No stands

Quote Originally Posted by TPEHAK View Post
    No stands

I wish people would stop posting this video, it is wrong. DO NOT TORQUE YOUR OIL DRAIN PLUGS!!!! YOU WILL STRIP THE THREADS!!! Just snug them on there, that is more than sufficient.

Hi all,
    I did some searching and couldn't find a definitive answer about this. I'm changing the transmission oil on my XB12Ss and the shop manual calls for the bike to be upright and level (all in capital letters, so I assume that means it is important ). Do most folks use just a rear stand, rear and front stands combined, or some other method for leveling the bike? It seems like just the rear stand is probably close enough, but I don't know how sensitive the oil level measurement is to this.
    Thanks!
    James
    Yes the bike should be upright when draining the primary oil. I put my bike on front and rear stands when changing the primary oil. It makes it much easier to drink a beer while the oil drains.

Inactive
    james: put a small block of wood under the sidestand and remove the drain plug and let it drain for perhaps 1/2 hour if you can. best method to drain the primary. replace the O-ring on the plug. i have them in stock...will send you one for free if you need one. refill with exactly one quart of fluid of your choice. i prefer amsoil 20wt-50 motorcycle oil or their new 20wt-50 primary/trans fluid which is outstanding. one quart gets you right on the money. no need to measure anything.

MVP.jpg
    Last edited by user_deleted; 11-04-2017 at 10:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by lunaticfringe View Post
    james: put a small block of wood under the sidestand and remove the drain plug and let it drain for perhaps 1/2 hour if you can. best method to drain the primary. replace the O-ring on the plug. i have them in stock...will send you one for free if you need one. refill with exactly one quart of fluid of your choice. i prefer amsoil 20wt-50 motorcycle oil or their new 20wt-50 primary/trans fluid which is outstanding. one quart gets you right on the money. no need to measure anything.

MVP.jpg
    Interesting. Did not realize they had that fluid. I just changed my oil yesterday, but I will look into that for my next oil change....

Inactive
    ^^^^^^greg: it's actually not all that exciting of a new product. see copy and past below from amsoil website and read first paragraph ONLY. the dedicated v-twin primary fluid and v-twin trans fluid is more of a marketing ploy than anything else IMO. when you "read between the lines" it's nothing more than their dedicated 20wt-50 motorcycle oil with a slightly different additive package and labeling on container. it's intended for those OCD harley/buell/triumph owners who just have to have something.....anything.....specifically labeled for the driveline component it's being used in. really nothing more than that.

https://www.amsoil.com/newsstand/mot...-new-products/

👍^^^

Quote Originally Posted by lunaticfringe View Post
    ^^^^^^greg: it's actually not all that exciting of a new product. see copy and past below from amsoil website and read first paragraph ONLY. the dedicated v-twin primary fluid and v-twin trans fluid is more of a marketing ploy than anything else IMO. when you "read between the lines" it's nothing more than their dedicated 20wt-50 motorcycle oil with a slightly different additive package and labeling on container. it's intended for those OCD harley/buell/triumph owners who just have to have something.....anything.....specifically labeled for the driveline component it's being used in. really nothing more than that.

https://www.amsoil.com/newsstand/mot...-new-products/
    So it's amsoil's version of Harley's formula+?

Inactive
    no cody. it's what i call "dedicated specialty" packaging. for those anal retentive and OCD types that say to themselves "by God if i'm going to put oil in my primary drive it better say primary drive right on the front of the container". you know the type.

wow john, by the way the amsoil description reads they practically said exactly that! I'm sure it will sell like hot cakes anyway.

And not to drag on an oil discussion, but am I doing any good at all using formula+ in the primary and trans? Or just wasting time and money. Only reason I really do it is because I've always just stuck with doing what the oe manual says. For example I use sae90 "marine" gear oil in my boats outdrive even though I'm sure automotive gear oil would be fine...

Last edited by BuellyBagger; 11-05-2017 at 04:42 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast