Thread: Front Rotor Service

Front Rotor Service

Just replaced the front brake pads on the Uly and I want to clean or service the front rotor. The rotor is clean with no obvious ridges or hot spots. Lots of people talk about the ScotchBrite fix. My questions:
    What’s the recommendation for the scotchbrite cleaning? I’m assuming brake cleaner and elbow grease.
    Should I remove the front rotor or leave it on the bike?
    The manual recommends replacing the bolt, nut and washer/clip when installing the front rotor. Do people do that or do you re-use the front rotor fasteners?

Thank You

Inactive
    re-use hardware IF the oblong shaped rotor locator washers not worn and appear serviceable.
    have local machine shop "ball-mill" both sides of rotor. get a price first as i sell new EBC front rotors to board members at close to dealer cost. that cost sometimes comparable to what a shop wants for the "ball-mill" procedure

If there are no issues with the rotor, I wouldn't touch it.

Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by AZmidget91 View Post
    If there are no issues with the rotor, I wouldn't touch it.
    you're correct cole. hastily read his post and thought of dirty sketchy looking rotor so offered up what i did. if it's fine just clean and reinstall.

I second that advise. Scotchbriting the face of the rotor removes the pad material that needs to be on there for best performance. Be sure to bed the new pads properly.