Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: What are the parts most likely to go bad first?

Banned
    Yes. Rockerbox gaskets, pushrod cover gaskets, intake manifold gaskets, PCV valves gaskets, everything will leak. Don't buy Buell.

I believe so. The dealer replaced the rocker box gaskets with Cometic parts under warranty at one point, I do recall.

I agree Silver, What the heck is TP doing on this forum with such a crap attitude. I like my Uly, it has been a good ride so far. If it goes weird well, there is always this forum.

TP, go buy a rice rocket. Part of the allure of the Buell is that is American. We work together -- Do some thinking, like for example the historical cracked Liberty bell, this is a founding principle of America -- try hard, do something difficult, if it f+++s up, accept your failure and try again. I have to admit I am of tired of your whinny loser's attitude.

Opto

Quote Originally Posted by TPEHAK View Post
    Yes. Rockerbox gaskets, pushrod cover gaskets, intake manifold gaskets, PCV valves gaskets, everything will leak. Don't buy Buell.
    I am currently chasing down an oil leak (or two) on my Ducati so I am familiar with the phenomenon. Aside from the brilliant (IMO) design and engineering from Eric Buell, the near zero maintenance and cleanliness of the belt drive and hydraulic lifters also really appeal to me. Can not wait to give one a try.
    Last edited by mpheinitz; 12-21-2017 at 12:21 AM.

Yeah, " don't buy buell " coming from a guy that makes problems for his bike when none exist, designs new parts for it from a 3-D printer drives many people nuts for advice then, doesn't listen to the advice given, tries to redesign parts that aren't necessary but most important of all is, he keeps his Buell and rebuilds his motor to exact tolerances ! Then just keeps on bitching and moaning about how bad they are like a, You know what !

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by mpheinitz View Post
    I am currently chasing down an oil leak (or two) on my Ducati so I am familiar with the phenomenon. Aside from the brilliant (IMO) design and engineering from Eric Buell, the near zero maintenance and cleanliness of the belt drive and hydraulic lifters also really appeal to me. Can not wait to give one a try.
    Yes, if you are OK with European motorcycles and especially with Ducati you are going to be probably OK with Buell. Buell is not the worst motorcycle, there are much more worst motorcycles.

Pros of owning an XB Buell:

- No chain, belt drive. Never have to adjust, lubricate, or routinely replace the belt, which makes tire changes as easy as they could possibly be. Never have to clean off chain grease from your motorcycle and boots. You can expect your belt to last 50K miles, maybe less maybe more, but definitely a long time. Belt drive also means no drive train lash and smoother power delivery. If your belt snaps it will not jam up like a snapped chain and attempt to kill you, you'll basically role to a stop. Definitely all very nice for daily riding.

- Never have to perform valve adjustments.

- Never have to worry about engine coolant.

- Oil changes are about as easy as they get.

- Great gas mileage, expect 40+ mpg on highways. If you have an SS or Uly, enjoy a 4.4 gallon fuel tank!

- Nice and toasty when it gets cold.

- Comfortable sitting position on the Lightning. Neutral and easy to complete long trips with.

- With an aftermarket exhaust, it has probably one of the most beafy exhaust tones of any sporty motorcycle. It appeals to the inner animal. Their easy to tune as well, and there are quite a few options to dial in the bike just right.

- Excellent community support, with a few exceptions..... *sick... teabag.

- No driver aids. Some might say that's a minus, but in my book it is a huge plus.

- Torque. 86 lbs of torque in a 400 lbs air cooled motorcycle, I challenge you to find that without resorting to a full on super bike. Your always in the right gear with the Buell. 103HP is plenty for me. In the field of air cooled bikes, that is a great number, and might be best in class. It is about equal with the new BMW R Nine T, which I had the pleasure of riding and then racing. The XB is about on equal footing with the R Nine T, it is extremely close. I was able to pull away from the BMW, even though it makes 110HP, but it losses a lot of its power through the drive train because it is crank drive.

- Handling. The short rake and the mass centralization, extremely nimble motorcycle.

Cons:

- If you gotta do engine work, you have to get around the frame which usually means an engine drop.

- Vibration. The bike vibrates harder than Jenny Mcarthy's dildo. I call it character. It won't ever let me forget that I am on a motorcycle.

- Heat, in the summer, the right thigh gets toasty.

- Lack of certified mechanics. Being that the Buell is now a collectors bike, thanks to the retards over at Harley, that is something to be expected and you should know that before getting into this bike. Good news is that the community is strong out there, and there a hundreds of guys with the know how and the resources, but you will definitely have to dig around and make some new friends.

.............I'm sure I left out quite a bit, but I am done for now.........

Don't listen to Tea bag. He is just upset because he wasted so much time and money on snake oil instead of just fixing his poor bike. Buells are straight forward bikes. Both of mine have been great.

The 1st time I heard a Buell I actually thought I was listening to a hotrodded Mustang or something pull into the parking lot. Instead, I saw this tiny little motorcycle making just that noise! It's a great bike, it's got enthusiast following all over the world and is very unique. All motorcycles have their issues, the Buell has nothing unusual in terms of failures that wouldn't be seen elsewhere.

Regardless, someone asked about what they should do about the wiring under the saddle. There is cloth-like anti-abrasion split loom sleeving that is very effective called Techflex F6 Woven Wrap. That is what I would recommend covering the exposed wires with and use a zip tie or two to clamp ends of the split loom section around the wire bundles. You can buy it on Amazon for pretty cheap from a range of resellers.

Actually, I did replace the rear rocker box gaskets. Easy enough. Been running it for a few hundred miles so far. No issues. Now my fan isn't covered with oil. Took lunatics recommendation and installed right side scoop. I'm thinking maybe the rear cylinder getting hotter than the front was why those seals went first. Maybe not. I dunno. But with the heatshield and scoop my right leg is much more comfortable.

Last edited by Peeking Turtle; 01-16-2018 at 03:50 AM.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast