Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: What are the parts most likely to go bad first?

Runs and sounds better than tepacks Buell !

John, that Vincent is a thing of beauty even in its current condition! Definitely post some pics as you do the restoration. And, that Sno Runner is awesome! I've never heard of it before. Of course, out here in Oregon where I'm at it would be more of a mud runner.

Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by submax View Post
    John, that Vincent is a thing of beauty even in its current condition! Definitely post some pics as you do the restoration. And, that Sno Runner is awesome! I've never heard of it before. Of course, out here in Oregon where I'm at it would be more of a mud runner.
    james: know what's even goofier than the sno-runner concept itself? dig this. you pull a few pins and it collapses into a suit-case sized module that you can load into the trunk of your Plymouth Cricket or Dodge Colt. LOL LOL.
    i'm serious james. you pull a few pins and the front ski comes off....the handlebar collapses...the rear track and motor fold up...and the seat comes off. typically most airlines request that you drain the fuel and run the carb dry prior to bringing it onboard and stowing in the overhead luggage ports.

plymouth-cricket-1.jpg
    Last edited by user_deleted; 12-11-2017 at 01:01 PM.

John...that is effing awesome! I'll have to keep an eye out to see if one comes up somewhere near me...would be fun for me and my son to play with. You may have already seen these, but here are a couple of articles about finding and restoring a Sno Runner. I love the original ad. "A super-sizzling, ultra-new winter thing to do."

https://ultimatemotorcycling.com/201...nter-doldrums/
    https://ultimatemotorcycling.com/201...-motorcyclist/

I bought mine new (2008 model) and had a few things that have come up over the years, but nothing extraordinary.
    • Clutch cable wireform on engine failed - replaced with a much heavier duty unit under warranty
    • The horn snapped off its mounting bracket due to fatigue
    • The older bikes have the 2-bearing rear wheel and that really should be replaced immediately with the '10 model 3-bearing wheel; my 2-bearing wheel suffered a bearing failure which caused the rear wheel to periodically lock up while riding down the road... not safe.
    • The front engine isolator will eventually give out and need to be replaced. Mine went out at roughly 32,000 miles.
    • My steering head bearings crapped out pretty quick as well, but you can run tapered bearings which are much stronger.
    • The wire harness to the ECM needs some decent sleeving to protect it from chafing against the seat otherwise you may rub through the insulation like mine did.
    • My fork seals lasted about 20,000 miles before needing to redone, but this is normal maintenance on any suspension fork.

Quote Originally Posted by Mesozoic View Post
    I bought mine new (2008 model) and had a few things that have come up over the years, but nothing extraordinary.

The wire harness to the ECM needs some decent sleeving to protect it from chafing against the seat otherwise you may rub through the insulation like mine did.
    What should be done to Sleeve the harness? I just picked up a 2007 XB12Ss and i noticed some chafing under the seat. Would wrapping with electrical tape be sufficient?

Banned
    The first parts go bad first are top engine seals.

For me it was the rear tire. go figure.

Banned
    Besides fuel, oil, brake pads, brake fluid, tires, fork oil, fork seals it is engine seals.
    Last edited by TPEHAK; 12-20-2017 at 05:37 PM.

As a potential new Buell buyer currently shopping for a Lightning what do you mean by engine seals or top engine seals?

I am aware of the rocker cover gaskets and the need to rotate the engine to change them. Is this what you are referring to?

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast