Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Riding gear question.

Riding gear question.

So, I'm a career construction worker. I make a fair, livable wage for my family. If I'm all skunned up from wiping out, my wife and kids suffer. But I'm not afraid. I'm not going to stop riding. I've invested in a decent entry level helmet (Bell Qualifier DLX W/MIPS) and I wear a Kevlar infused Speed and Strength denim jacket. I usually ride in my Vans and if I eat **** those are not helping me any. I also don't care for many of the tricked out riding pants. What I'm looking for is recommendations on a good under layer for leg protection. Sort of like long johns that will add to the protection of the denim jeans I wear. Also, what are you wearing for semi stylish riding shoes? Save the posts about how you cant be stylish and protected at the same time. Even the flame resistant clothing I'm forced to wear for work is getting semi stylish...Thanks in advance for the replies!

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...798GaG6u5XSrxj
    I just ordered a pair of these puppies. I wanted to get something with a bit more protection than my Harley boots. Which are basically over priced work boots.
    I'm interested to see if anyone has a good "over pants"type suggestion for gear as well. I don't dig "riding pants" either

Quote Originally Posted by BuellyBagger View Post
    https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...798GaG6u5XSrxj
    I just ordered a pair of these puppies. I wanted to get something with a bit more protection than my Harley boots. Which are basically over priced work boots.
    I'm interested to see if anyone has a good "over pants"type suggestion for gear as well. I don't dig "riding pants" either
    Oh snap. Waterproof to boot! I'm not having a whole lot of luck searching for a Kevlar underwear...

Those boots look good in black, I don't care for the brown though.
    I just received a pair of Alpinestar Scout WP boots, they're going to take some breaking in !

On riding gear,

Over the years I have used all manner of protective riding gear, including full leathers. The synthetic coat pants combos were OK and the shoulder and elbow pads provided good protection in a wipe out.

Lots of drawbacks to each style, all way better then nothing. The leathers soaked up water like a sponge and you would gain 30 lbs and drip black all over the café. The synthetic stuff would blow zippers and always leak

Kevlar jeans with padding, leather jacket with padding, minimum 3/4 motorcycle boots. That is the bare minimum in riding gear, of course all leather is the best in protection. For hot weather you can sub leather jacket with vented textile jacket.

My chatty post keeps getting disappeared --so I will keep it simple:

Aerostitch RoadCrafter is the way to go

Schuberth S2 helmet is the quietest and best

I also work construction (union carpenter) and I understand where your coming from but jobsites can be more deadly than street riding. Foot protection on a budget........cruise clist or ebay for a good pair of gently used race boots. There are a ton of a holes that dive head first into the world of club racing and track days and realize they have vaginas and don't have what it takes to play the game, BANG...all the high end gear goes up for sale at a monster discount and hardly used. Get rid of the denim jacket and get a good leather one for cool weather and a textile jacket w armor for the hot weather. The helmet you choose is a great budget lid, Bell has stepped their game up dramatically in the last ten yrs. Get yourself a good pair of leather race gloves, again reasonably priced new on ebay. If your not interested in leather race style pants check out cycle gear. They offer a boatload ot jeans and textile pants that have armor incorporated. I can take some pics later of my race gear and street gear if you're interested.

Of course, all leather gloves too.

I currently have a Shoei helmet, but I am going to try an Arai next time around.

If you are on a Lightning, The helmet should be designed specifically for an upright sitting position. An aggressive sport helmet will not work ideally for the upright sitting position and will cause more wind turbulence and neck strain. If you are on a Bolt, then a sportier helmet would work well.

Last edited by Tbone; 11-16-2017 at 07:36 PM.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast